Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox on 11.2 free version and USB

Default VirtualBox on 11.2 free version and USB

VirtualBox is successfully installed on my openSUSE 11.2 and the guest OS is Win XP. I am looking for a way to acomplish two things from the guest OS:
    -use USB
    -use internet connection

On the first one, I've run into a howto for openSUSE 11.2 that says usb access for guest OSes in VBox is supported only in the binary (non-free) version. Since I am running the free one, does that mean I am out of luck on usb matter?

On the second one, I am puzzled as well. WinXP image is already installed and I tried to configure its networking via the "settings" section in VBox which gives me several options out of which none is for setting up IP's. How do I get internet connection that openSUSE host already has to share it with the guest OS within VBox?
    Leave your worries at /dev/null

Blog Entries

Default Re: VirtualBox on 11.2 free version and USB

Uninstall that version

add this repo

Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.2/

and install from there.
    It free for personal use

or there is this way
    Virtual Box (Sun Version) Install HowTo - openSUSE Forums

same thing
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Out of the box, VBox will use NAT to share its host's network connection. So just set up the guest OS to get an address by DHCP and it will work. The first guest will get 10.0.2.15.

You can used the 'bridged' setting with your wlan0 assuming you're using wireless.

I have your same set up btw, I work from my XP Virtual Machine and therefore need to print and scan, etc.

EDIT: If you're using the OSE version you won't have usb functionality. I'm assuming you've downloaded the PUEL version from Sun's Website.
    Cheers, Big Ears!

DΞLL Precision M6500: i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, Intel x-25M 160 G2 + 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300//Win7Pro x64
    DΞLL Vostro 1220 //openSUSE 11.3 KDE/Win7Pro 32

Have you installed the addons for XP. It substitutes special drivers for the default Windows drivers. Check the DOC's for instructions.

yes, install guest additions from the VB drop down menu while in XP.
    Cheers, Big Ears!

DΞLL Precision M6500: i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, Intel x-25M 160 G2 + 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300//Win7Pro x64
    DΞLL Vostro 1220 //openSUSE 11.3 KDE/Win7Pro 32

Thumbs up Re: VirtualBox on 11.2 free version and USB

Thank you guys for the wonderfull input, I followed the suggestion about guest addons option while win is running and also the one about bridging.
    Bridging worked. Now I have internet working in my virtual win.
    After the guest addons installation, the only visible difference is seamless integration of mouse pointer, there's no capture/uncapture pointer anymore. Other than that, usb devices are still unrecognized/unavailable, although all of my usb ports are taken by the web camera, printer, usb speakers and the portable HDD. I tried printing to no avail, asked me for the location of the printer than complained that there's no device found there, I tried local printer it didn't found any. Removable storage- I made some folders on that disk shareable but what next? How do I actually verify that usb is accessible to the virtual win? USB speakers work for win, but that's probably due to my settings in host openSUSE rather than their accessibility to virtual machine.
    Installed Skype within the virtual win, it installed allright but crashes not even a minute after start. Yahoo Messenger won't even install. I wonder what awaits me with installation of Blackberry Desktop Manager on the virtual win.
    I'd try caf4926's suggestion as maybe a last resort. But maybe I am doing something wrong...

Blog Entries

Open VBox but don't start the machine
    Select the settings for the machine you want to configure
    Go to the USB section

Like this and select the devices you want to add to the machine.
    Then you can start the machine
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I'd try caf4926's suggestion as maybe a last resort. But maybe I am doing something wrong...
    cafs suggestion is not the last resort, it is the *only* option to get USB running in VirtualBox. The free version just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    cafs suggestion is not the last resort, it is the *only* option to get USB running in VirtualBox. The free version just can't.
    Followed cafs suggestion via adding the suggested repo to my list of repos and VBox installed successfully. But! After I go through usual steps of making a new virtual machine and attempt to start it, a message appears about a kernel driver not installed ("Kernel driver not installed (rc=_1908) execute '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root"). I execute the command as root and got a message that pointed to var/log/messages, upon checking it said "make command not found".
    I looked for vboxdrv via Install Software but no trace. What to do next?
    I have previously uninstalled the older version via Install Software but didn't go further to delete any other directories that were related to the older version.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast