Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Mail - Cron Job - Updates & Alpine problem

Default System Mail - Cron Job - Updates & Alpine problem

Please can somebody help me with an internal Mailing problem.

SuSE 64bit 11.2
    Avira AntiVirus
    Alpine & Pine Mailing Client.

For a few short months system mail was being read with Alpine, then for a short while i wasn't getting any mail!

When cron jobs run and when Avira updates mail is being sent to root@localhost and placed in the location:

/var/spool/mail/*UserName*

My Mailing client opens mail stored in the location:

/home/*UserName*/Maildir

Not sure just what has altered / changed, tried to alter where Alpine gets its mail from and failed. I don't know which location is the correct location for the mail thats being generated by the system, cron jobs or Avira Updates.

How do i rectify my problem so that i can get my mail thats generated by the system, cron jobs and Avira in future.

Mark

Blog Entries

Default Re: System Mail - Cron Job - Updates & Alpine problem

Those two locations correspond to two formats for mailboxs, /var/spool/mail/<user> is used by the mbox format, and /home/<user>/Maildir is used by the maildir format.

Postfix delivers in either format and you can select maildir format by the setting

home_mailbox = Maildir/

in mail.cf.

It's not clear how you are fetching mail with alpine, whether you are using IMAP or reading mbox directly (I don't even remember if alpine handles mbox). If you are using IMAP, then dovecot handles both formats, but may have to be told where the directory is. The setting is:

mail_location

in dovecot.conf

So you have to adjust either postfix or dovecot.

Another possibility is when you are using procmail to deliver. In this case it doesn't matter what postfix is set to do, because it's procmail's setting that determines where the mail ends up.

Thank you for your reply.

On Install of SuSE 11.2 i commenced using pine (now Alpine) for reading / getting system mail and it just worked as it did when i was using SuSE 9. I had nothing to do or configure it just started getting system mail as expected and as i was always used to by default.

Then for no reason i stopped getting system mail!

Where do i find mail.cf, as i can't find it.

Mark

Blog Entries

Sorry main.cf. But if you have been editing postfix's config via YaST, then you should continue to do that, and use POSTFIX_ADD_HOME_MAILBOX=Maildir/ as an additional item in postfix's config.

Maybe you should just forward root's mail to your normal mailbox elsewhere.

Not a clue how to edit postfix via yast or any other method and i can't find main.cf either i'm afraid.

Having logged in to yast there's nothing listed as Postfix!

"Maybe you should just forward root's mail to your normal mailbox elsewhere. "

I would if i new how!

Mark

Found Main.cf

and i find the line: mail_spool_directory = /var/mail

this isn't where my mail is going though, it's going to: /var/spool/mail/*UserName*

and i think it was originally going to: /home/*UserName*/Maildir which is where Alpine gets its mail from "I think"

/var/mail/*UserName* does exist!

Help I'm lost

Blog Entries

/var/mail is just a symlink to /var/spool/mail

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akwe-xavante View Post
    "Maybe you should just forward root's mail to your normal mailbox elsewhere. "
    If you have another box on the LAN which is the mail server, edit /etc/aliases and redirect root's mail to that mailbox, and reload postfix.

root: your@other.box.on.lan

I'm assuming that local domain resolves.

Tried as best i could with the limited knowledge i have and failed.

System mail stopped altogether but i have restored previous settings and system mail is being sent again to the location

/var/spool/mail/*UserName*

I still can't get Alpine to retrieve this mail though.

The location mail was being sent to changed on the 14th Feb, how do i find out if SuSE installed updates just after this date and time.

This may give me a clue as to how things got changed / messed up if know what if any updates took place.

Did Alpine get updated or did Postfix get an update, this could indicate where the change took place and may give me the chance to put things right.

Mark

Blog Entries

You should check your personal alpine configuration. It should be able to read mail from the default mbox maildrop location /var/spool/mail/<user>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast