Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 144

Thread: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I enjoyed playing with gnome, but finally, the Gnome pulse audio implementation was just too quirky, and it was main reason in the end I decided to stick with KDE. At least with KDE sound mostly works for me, as opposed to Gnome where sound (for me) mostly doesn't work.
    I find myself in a similar situation. I would LOVE to have a choice to use GNOME, but the default implementation of pulseaudio makes it not plausible for me, while KDE "just works". I do hope the in 11.3 the situation will be a nit more leveled. At least I hope...
    openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win Vista HP TX1316au AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile TK-55, nVidia GeForce Go 6150

    openSUSE 11.3 GM + M$ Win 7 HP dm-3 AMD Neo X2 L335, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    1,441

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    > than GNOME; however, GNOME is more stable

    Actually I disagree with this. I have not had
    a problem with KDE stability in a long time, like KDE 4.0. In particular
    stability has increased even further with Kwin taking over the effects that
    Compiz used to provide. I would suggest if KDE is unstable for you, try
    turning off effects. More than likely it is a buggy video driver.



  3. #13

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    i don't understand all the issues with KDE. I haven't had one stability issue with KDE since KDE 4.0 and am now on KDE 4.3.5 and it is rock solid.
    just my 2 cents.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/belgium
    Posts
    1,946

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    Drowsy wrote:
    > I suppose that appearances are secondary to functionality and the
    > Gnome 2 is pretty stable and gets the job done


    maybe it is a generational thing, but i'm not willing to give up
    functionality, stability, reliability, dependability and usability
    just to have wobbly rotating winkies blinkies and blitzies..

    and, as far as i have heard Linus agrees and left KDE for dependable
    ugly..

    me, i decided to stay with still usable KDE3 as long as possible..

    by the way i think there are skins/themes and stuff so you can make
    Gnome look about any way you want it too..

    HERE, Have a lot of stable fun: GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project

    --
    palladium
    That's plain FUD. Linus didn't leave KDE because of it being ugly. He left it because Fedora folks pushed a broken KDE4 and there was no way to revert it and as he needs his desktop NOW, and being the pragmatist he is, he opted for the easier solution of using GNOME instead until KDE4 is fixed and good enough, which it is today. Did he revert back? I've no idea, so ask him.

  5. #15
    palladium NNTP User

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    microchip8 wrote:
    > That's plain FUD. Linus didn't leave KDE because of it being ugly.


    you wanna try reading what i wrote, rather than what you think i wrote?

    i didn't write he left KDE because it was ugly...read again and see i
    wrote he left broken but wobbly windowed KDE4 for stable, reliable,
    dependable, and usable Gnome (which the original poster termed 'ugly)

    thus: "...Linus agrees [with me] and left [broken] KDE for dependable
    ugly [Gnome instead].."

    --
    palladium

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland, European Union
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    The GNOME being more stable has been a myth ever since 11.2 came out (or actually even sooner).

    The only crashes I've had with KDE 4 have been related to running factory versions and having mixed files which I fixed promptly, apart from that I have not seen one plasma or kwin crash on 4.3 or 4.4 - then again I also have quality components and nVidia display adapter.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,527
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    The GNOME being more stable has been a myth ever since 11.2 came out (or actually even sooner).
    I would agree with that. Both KDE and Gnome have their quirks. I've read many users complain about dolphin in KDE, and I myself find audio quirky in Gnome. Sometimes the assessment of stability is a subjective user assessment.

    Maybe its time for all of us to abandon those two desktops and move to LXDE ! (I'm joking - of course - although I do like the fact that LXDE is now a choice for openSUSE users)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland, European Union
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    twm baby, twm!

  9. #19

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    Back to your original post.
    if you want to see what gnome can do try out foresight Linux they do a wonderful job of making gnome look good. unfortunately they have not done an updated version in quite some time.
    Suse 11.2 gnome does not work well on my machine so I'm using KDE at present. though not for looks sake for some reason gnome on that machine in Suse does not work well and gnome can be just as unstable as KDE.
    I'd really like to see Suse do a E17 desktop similar to Elive. It's very fast quite good looking and plenty of effect if you have to have them. Enough rambling back to ,ugh, work

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,662
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Is it just me, but does every distro using Gnome look ugly?

    Quote Originally Posted by kc1di-qrp View Post
    I'd really like to see Suse do a E17 desktop similar to Elive. It's very fast quite good looking and plenty of effect if you have to have them. Enough rambling back to ,ugh, work
    Love Enlightenment too. FYI it's available in the repos:

    Index of /repositories/X11:/Enlightenment/openSUSE_11.2
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •