Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move SUSE hard drive to new PC

Default Move SUSE hard drive to new PC

OK, I'm new at this. This may be easy for you, but I'm clueless.

I came in this morning only to find that the Intel Core2 hyperthreading Dell machine is dead. It appears the processor is fried.

I have a new white-box X2 system that I will replace the dead Dell with. The X2 (AMD) does not have a hard-drive (HDD) so, I will simply put the SATA hard-drive into the PC.

Some of you may know how to do this, but I don't know where to begin after I get the Hard-drive in. (I know how to move a Windows configuration from one PC to another and handle it as it begins to blue screen (BSOD), but I don't have a clue with Linux)

This system was built with GRUB. At the very least, I expect the GRUB boot managet to surface on the display. But, what next....

I was testing an OpenSuse setup as a server. Nothing fancy and NO applications added. The only customization was the MB's LAN card and the display was set at 1024x768. I had 2 users, root and myself.

1. What would you do?
    2. Is there some boot time options that I should follow?

Thansk in advance...

Default Re: Move SUSE hard drive to new PC

As you have new hardware, I would say that a new install is needed. When it comes to the partitioning part, let it use the old partitioning of the disk. Let it reformat (create new file system) the partition to be used for /, but LET IT NOT create a file system the partition that was used for /home. Only see that it is mounted again at /home.

This is of course only valid when you have a seperate /home (how handy to have it). When not the restore the /home dat from your backup after installation. (You can still create a backup by using a live CD).

Also look out for the point during install where it asks to create one or more users. You can there ask the install to look for existing users at the old disk and then check the ones you want in the new system again. Saves work later!
    Henk van Velden

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

Just power on the PC and wait, if you change the monitor then use
    failsafe, else, boot normally, you probably have to reconfigure the
    video card, network card and sound card. I try it with a pentium II and
    a pentium IV with openSUSE 11.2 and only have to reconfigure the sound card

- --
    VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
    Stops working when you open a window.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuH/QwACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVk7WACglySOC0hY7bLVdu1amlpVf4Or
    HPAAnRcesLt4cdn15ESQ1ZUPTtLqS4K9
    =pFIi
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Two contrary advices.

Before you tear your hair out, first try VampirD's way and when that fails, you still can go for mine.
    Henk van Velden

Here's what I did. But, it appears that I need some guidance to continue. (if you can step me through this it would be learning experience for me should this ever happen again.)

I got to the boot menu and I selected Failsafe.
    I got normal console boot progress. And these are the final messages that I see on the console....
    RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block0
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2filesystem).
    Starting udev
    Creating device
    Loading kernal/driver ...
    Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear: ....not found --device nodes: consolefb0 loop0 ... loop7 md0 null ram ram0 ... ram15 ramdisk shm tty1 tty2 zero no root device found; exiting to /bin/sh

The console dies after the above "Waiting ..." message.

ideas anyone ???

I know rebuilding is easy for most of us, but for me understanding is so much more important. If you can shed some light into this for me, please do. Thanks

1. What do I have here?
    2. What can I do?

What do you mean by "the console dies"? Nothing happens when you hit return?
    Henk van Velden

@hcvv
    Yes, I cannot type, I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Fn, the system is stopped and requires a power-reset.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

You install the hard disk on the second PC as you have on the first?,
    every /dev/sdX are the same?

- --
    VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
    Stops working when you open a window.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuILFkACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVnurQCfUjAFXHG/gUhqDC7X+2vkBa6q
    TXQAoMW8hkxjmnVvSNw+RRDMdmC3LLs6
    =/uc0
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Thanks for the info.

It is clear that Ctrl-Alt-Fn does not work because that belongs to the graphics (X). But normaly when it says "exiting to /bin/sh" you must be in a shell then. But it seems that even the /bin/sh can not be found. Do you know if /dev/sda2 contains your / (root) file sytem?

Is this the only disk in the new system? When there is another one that one could be sda.

Just a few guesses.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thanks for the info.

It is clear that Ctrl-Alt-Fn does not work because that belongs to the graphics (X). But normaly when it says "exiting to /bin/sh" you must be in a shell then. But it seems that even the /bin/sh can not be found. Do you know if /dev/sda2 contains your / (root) file sytem?

Is this the only disk in the new system? When there is another one that one could be sda.

Just a few guesses.
    I booted my Knoppix LiveCD. I can see all the system directories on /dev/sda2 in Knoppix when I mount it using "mount /mnt/sda2"

It is the only hard drive on the system MB

ideas?

Is there any log files that would shed some light of why this boot is stopping?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast