Compiz,KDE and HELL!!!!!!

Hello there, this is my first post to the forum!!

yeah, I’m not so happy about that though. :frowning:
Truth is I’ve always found answers through google or in the wikki, but this time I’m at my wits end.>:(

The culprit is KDE’s desktop effects; I cant get compiz to work properly with it. I want to configure Compiz with the default configuration manager, and to use the flat-backend, not KDE’s.

KDE has it’s own compiz implementation and it wont let you use compiz properly.

My question is, how can I remove the desktop effects, (remove not disable) and enable the compiz configuration manager to work properly, like it does in gnome or in KDE 3.5

I’m sorry but I find the new KDE desktop effects rather annoying.

please any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

A small gift: (for those who like this music). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26OQe5DLnhs

Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

Also, don’t forget to remove any packages you may already have. Unless you’re using both Gnome and KDE and you already have compiz installed. Then just move on to setting compiz as your window manager.

*Note: I still have to update that how-to to include using factory repositories as I did with 11.1. Look for some changes coming along caf.]

[EDIT: Nevermind it doesn’t add any extra repositories for KDE so it’s still good as it is. It’s still missing the emerald package though so that still needs to be downloaded manually]

Take Care,

Ian

*Note: I still have to update that how-to to include using factory repositories as I did with 11.1. Look for some changes coming along caf.]
;)Noted Ian thanks

I’d like to note that you do not need compiz with KDE any more all the effects are now built into the desktop. Installing compiz will just screw things up.

I concur with you on this
I wouldn’t install it either. You’ll loose kde-pure and have a load of gnome ‘stuff’ installed.

Gnome? KDE-pure???

There are some huge differences between Compiz and the KDE-Effects, by the way, so I think it’s valid to prefer one to the other.

Are you asking for an explanation?lol!

True
I prefer kde’s kwin;)

Thank you for taking the time to write that guide, (And calf for pointing it)

I found the solution to my problems on point # 13.

“13.) For KDE4 users, To set compiz as the default window manager open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings). Then click Default Applications. Click Window Manager and choose Use a different window manager. Use the drop down menu to choose Compiz (not Compiz custom).”

This accomlished waht compiz --replace didnt, it disabled the intrusive KDE effects, and let compiz fusion to take ownership.

Again thank you all. :slight_smile:

*Note: By the way, the links to the fglrx drivers(the one click install thingy) are broken, both files fail a hashcheck while downloading. May want to look into that, maybe its just me but maybe not…