Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official openSUSE-11.2 KDE-4.3.5 Update went well

Blog Entries

Default Official openSUSE-11.2 KDE-4.3.5 Update went well

The forum has been awfully quiet about the massive official update to KDE-4.3.5 (from KDE-4.3.1) on openSUSE-11.2, that I noticed in the Official Update repository today. This is a very big update ( > 300 MBytes download) .

This update has been talked about for a while, and I note it finally here. Perhaps I missed someone else's post on this?

Anyway, I've applied the update to two PCs thus far (a 64-bit and a 32-bit, both now running the "official" KDE-4.3.5) and it appears to be running well.

Default Re: Official openSUSE-11.2 KDE-4.3.5 Update went well

This is the first time I've seen a KDE update hit the 11.2 update repo.

It's quite an exception, usually 'update' only provides backported bugfixes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chyrania View Post
    This is the first time I've seen a KDE update hit the 11.2 update repo.
    Same for me, and I've been using SuSE since 7.3, although in my earlier days of using SuSE I did not know very much and I often did not bother with updates and could have missed such an update if there was one then.

I read that the reason for this unprecidented update, was a Novell plan to have both SLED-11 ( ? ) and openSUSE-11.2 keep the exact same KDE version. This is hoped to save on maintenance costs, as they will only have 1 KDE version to maintain, as opposed to having two to maintain, ... at least that will be true for the life of openSUSE-11.2 (SLED has a much longer life).

My "wish" is they would do something for the Kernel and other apps, making a SLED version very close to a specific openSUSE version (or visa versa) so that one can have a higher confidence of a SLED version working well with the massive 3rd party repositories that are available for openSUSE versions.

One of the reasons why I won't buy SLED for my home use, is because the 3rd party support that is available for openSUSE (via Packman and many other repositories) is not there for SLED.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    The forum has been awfully quiet about the massive official update to KDE-4.3.5 (from KDE-4.3.1) on openSUSE-11.2, that I noticed in the Official Update repository today. This is a very big update ( > 300 MBytes download) .

This update has been talked about for a while, and I note it finally here. Perhaps I missed someone else's post on this?

Anyway, I've applied the update to two PCs thus far (a 64-bit and a 32-bit, both now running the "official" KDE-4.3.5) and it appears to be running well.
    Maybe because openSUSE updater applet has been silent on this as it has on my 64bit 11.2. An update for the updater applet just arrived; applied it; and several more just arrived including kde 4.3.5 update. Your peace may be over...

The Yast update showed up last night for me, but the KDE update didn't show up in updates. That needed to be done in Yast, but it went without problems.
    Go for it! You can always re-install...

Registered Linux User #452291

Windows Vista Boot Error: (S)hout, (P)arty, (D)ance, (L)inux? (L/L)?

Thumbs up Re: Official openSUSE-11.2 KDE-4.3.5 Update went well

The update for me was remarkably painless and transparent. There have been literally no problems on either of my machines with this update, which is, I think a testament to both KDE's increasing stability and the capability of the maintainers.

Having been stung in the past by being too eager to get the latest KDE from the STABLE repository, I was very impressed with the quality of this update.

As for what it actually fixes, I'm not so clear, apart from the fact that Dolphin was crashing fairly regularly for me before and now seems ok. I'm sure there are a ton of fixes under the hood, though.

Agreed, having now applied the update on two systems on separate partitions. On the first I forgot to close and reload the updater applet after applying its update, so the following KDE update gave a string of applet errors towards the end. However, it appears to have completed the actual update ok, and no visible flaws so far.

One thing I've noticed with the KDE 4.3.5 update:

The RSS Reader, Akregator, still crashes at random intervals for no apparent reason. Just add, delete, or edit a folder or news feed and you'll see what I mean: the crash dialog. This bug's been reported from what I could find out.

Solved the problem for the moment by using RSSOwl 2.0.4, a Java app that runs in Linux, Windows, & Mac.
    Go for it! You can always re-install...

Registered Linux User #452291

Windows Vista Boot Error: (S)hout, (P)arty, (D)ance, (L)inux? (L/L)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walla299 View Post
    ...... The RSS Reader, Akregator, still crashes at random intervals for no apparent reason.
    I've read some users have had major problems with dolphin crashing in KDE4. ... I'm wondering if the same is true in KDE-4.3.5. I have not noticed it thus far, but then I also note I have a rabbits foot when it comes to openSUSE hiccups, so my experiences are often very unrepresentative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast