Thread: Fax sending software

Unhappy Fax sending software

I've tried installing both SendFax and HylaFax packages but I cannot see how to get them to actually work! The setup deamons run ok so I know the software is installed.

I've worked my way through the setup instructions for both and got no error messages.But there is no clue as to how to actually send a fax! I've tried various commands in the terminal, like sendfax, fax, sfax, HylaFax and variations thereof as both Root and as User. But nothing.

I had a fax package (sendfax, I think) running successfully on my old, SUSE 10.1, box so I am not totally unversed in using this software and I know my hardware modem supports it.

So what's the secret?

Default Re: Fax sending software

Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Thanks. Already looked through that collection.

Tried installing Gfax but straight away got bogged down in dependency hell!

Tried both the Java frontends but neither of them worked. In both cases the .jar files referred to in the ReadMe files didn't appear to actually exist and the commands to invoke Java were wrong!

Is it really too much to expect a piece of software to actually come with a user interface? In this case even a basic text (input 'phone No., file name) one would be nice.

Figured out what was wrong with the java packages; the file manager thinks .jar files are software archives and double clicking on them opens up unpacking application. Does the same in Ubuntu too! so I was merrily extracting all the files and trying to run something. Changed the "open with" setting to the Java application and they run ok.
    Thank you

Java apps are sometimes tricky, I know. Happy you solved.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.