Thread: Frequent Segfaults = Soon Dead HDD?

Default Frequent Segfaults = Soon Dead HDD?

Hi all,

I'm running KDE SC 4.4 on OpenSUSE 11.2, and I'm getting segfaults...quite often Whether it be KTorrent, Dolphin, KMozillaHelper,Amarok, or what have you. Is this a sign that my Hard Drive is about to fail?

All my programs are contained on my "Boot" drive (Not a partition, but a single boot drive dedicated to that).

I was told it could have been a problem with my RAM, but I ran Memtest86+ overnight, and came back with no errors.

So? Opinion?

Default Re: Frequent Segfaults = Soon Dead HDD?

I'm having exactly the same problem after I upgraded to kde 4.4. So I guess it's just the kde packages being unstable...

I get segfaults often as well. This has been happening since I updated to KDE SC 4.4.

Every time I get one I immediately reboot and force a fsck on my hard drive. I've also run memory tests and hard drive scans using the manufacturer-specific diags for my drives. So far all of my hardware is ok, so it looks like the problem lies somewhere within KDE 4.4 (at least from my point of view).

Google searching of this problem has yielded little, so I'm not sure how common this is.
    My personal philosophy:
    The only way you won't find something is if you stop looking.

I think you guys need to check your repositories.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

I think you guys need to check your repositories.
    If you hint at using factory: I've been using that without problems before and I'd be less surprised if I was using unstable.

If there's another way to get 4.4 without using Factory, then I'd be interested to hear it In any case, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem, or so it seems. So I'll assume it's just a matter of time until everything is fixed. Maybe I'll go back to KDE 4.3.5 until then.

Yes. It has to come from factory. How many factory repos do you have? I have 2. I did not add Playground, but that is there if you need it for certain packages. I think you will have problems if you just add the first one and don't add the second.

# Core packages: Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2
    # Community: Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE4_Factory_Desktop
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

Segfaults are memory errors. Which may or may not have anything to do with a bad hard drive.

Just wanted to say that one of the recent updates seem to have fixed my problems

PS: I also had troubles with Amarok segfaulting at startup. I fixed that by using a clean configuration.