How to adjust CD mounting behavior

Greetings All,

Under Suse 11.1 & KDE 3.5, when a CD was inserted, the disk was automatically mounted at /media/cd-label.

With 11.2 & KDE 4, I get a pop-up from the task bar, from which I must select the CD, and then select the Open With File Manager option. Then (and only then) is the CD mounted at /media/cd-label.

Is there a setting that I can change that will eliminate the requirement for all the mouse clicks and just have a CD automatically mounted when it is inserted?

Thanx in advance.

Rich

You mean you want kde4 to behave like kde3 does in 11.1?

Not that I’m aware of
it might be possible with some jiggery pokery

I remember an old thread involving a similar discussion:

Automounting in 11/KDE4 - Page 3 - openSUSE Forums

IMHO it is clear that the behaviour of system/DE is not clearly documented for us mere users (or at least nobody of us could find it). Personaly I would love to know how it (should) function, because I then can update SDB:Basics of partitions, filesystems, mount points - openSUSE.

Some of my observations reading several threads here.

It is no longer HAL (or at least not HAL alone) that is involved, but DeviceKit.

The fact that the mounting (of CDs, DVDs, USB storage devices) is no longer done at connection, but following an action of the end-user may be a way to avoid the problem that HAL mounted for an arbritrary loged in user session (at least I could not find out which logic is used to make the choice between the loged in sessions). I did not test the new situation (still in the conversion phase to 11.2/KDE 4), but I it looks as if in the new situation the user that acts first, will get it mounted on his behalf (that means his uid is used as owner for the mountpoint and also for the contents if it is not a Lunix fs type).

To put it in other words:
In the old situation the device was mounted ready to be used by one of the loged in users without any further action needed by any user.
In the new situation the device is offered to all loged in users, and the user who acts first gets it (TO BE PROVEN!).

For those who always have one user loged in at the time (which is a case that may not be typical for a Unix/Linux like system, but in reality very often on laptop and even desktop systems) this might not be an improvement because of the exttra clicks needed.

For others it might be an improvment. Take the case of the loged in, but locked Father session (fathrte walked away), the also loged in and unlocked Mother session (also walked away), where the Daughter logs in and puts in a CD. In the old situation she saw nothing happening (because the pop-up was in one of the two other sessions). In the new situation she would get the notification and being the only one around would act and get it!

But in case of remote logins, this is still not ideal (be carefull with what you connect!).

Anybody who can point to more documentation?

There’s a replacement plasmoid for the standard KDE4 disk one that does that. I’m not sure what it’s called, but if you search on the opensuse software page for “mount”, it should show up.

What do you mean by “the standard KDE4 disk one”? The “device notifier”?

Do you mean this one:

Results from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43
device-automounter (svn1013818)
Automounting in KDE4
?

From the comments it sounds like the “auto” has been taken out of automount.

I guess the easiest thing to do is to remove the annoying ‘noid’ and mount CDs manually from a command window. Seems like less work…

This is progress? :frowning:

Rich

For me, it’s much better this way. Just my opinion mind you:)

I’m with Henk on this one. The interaction between the DE,DeviceKit, and HAL, needs to be better documented. The notification and mounting behaviour needs to be configurable to cope properly with different types of user situations.

But it is configurable…

• Add the devicemanager-widget (for example to your taskbar)

• Rightclick it and choose the settings-dialogue

• Tick “Automount the devices”

Edit: Almost forgot - this option is not provided by the default device-manager, the package ‘plasmoid-devicemanager’ needs to be installed first.

That is nice to know, but I still prefer documentation. It is a bit strange that we all are dependent on somebody who:

1. had the time and the patience to click around until he blundered into this;
  2. happens to be an active member of these forums;
  3. happens to read this thread and takes the trouble to add a post.

In other words, we have a new bit of information on this subject due to pure luck.

And the theory on how this works, and who does what, is still very vague, but it seems that Device-Kit talks to the DE and in the case of KDE can take some decisions.
When I have time I will spend a few hours on experimenting. In the meantime, thanks @gropiuskalle for this information.

Pure luck?

Any plasmoid is more or less configurable, I looked for the settings… and there it was. If I wouldn’t have mentioned it here, somebody else would have.

KDE was always able to make decisions about mounting a device. Now it does not by default but only when a user tries to access a certain device. Obviously I don’t quite get the problem.

No doubt you followed a logical path to get to the result, but for a lot of us it is pure luck you did it.

Well then…

To follow the path:
look to the master,
follow the master,
walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.

Seriously, the path I followed was looking at the settings of the app that manages devices, that’s pretty much the first spot one would look at, wouldn’t it?

caf4926 wrote:

>
> For me, it’s much better this way. Just my opinion mind you:)

Try telling that to users! I have a couple of them testing KDE4 and this
has been a constant complaint, especially when mounting CDs and memory
sticks while using a virtual session of Windows.

I hope someone has a fix for this screwy setup - I get tired of explaining
that they have to actually use the device (“cancel” or “ignore” won’t cut
it) under Linux before VirtualBox can get to it - to then ask the same
question in the virtual session.

Will Honea

It’s already been mentioned

ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Allow me to come back on this.

I have an icon in my Panel that shows a monitor, with a USB sign on it and a CD/DVD coming out of its top. It is called “Apparaatmelding”, I thought that is is a dutch translation for “Device Notifier”. Am I correct here? (Else I am talking in the wide blue yonder).

When yes, I can right click on it and it then has the item “Apparaatmelding instellen”, which I think is “Configure Device Notifier”, when activated it shows a window with but one possibility: to define a Hot-key (it does not explain what that hot-key is supposed to do, but that is something different). Thus I do not get the window Carl shows us.

Does that mean that I have to replace this one with another one “plasmoid-devicemanager”? How obvious is that to all the users having problems with this?

Henk,

I never changed mine but I am using kde4.4
And have done this
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Strange. I do not have the KDE Community and KDE Desktop, but KDE Stable and KDE Backports (added two days ago, and yes, I switched to them).

Now in your pic I see several 4.3.4 versions, where I have 4.3.5 ones.
Also. there is no package called plasmoid-devicemanager to be found anywhere in my repos or installation.

Thus: new questions!

I thought that switching to the repos I have was sensible as I understood that this is now ‘officialy’ part of openSUSE 11.2. Or did I interprete completely wrong?

What is the difference between Stable and Desktop and which one is stable (no pun intended, or maybe)?

And last but not least, do you in 4.3.4 have a newer/other device manager then I have in 4.3.5 (whatever package it may belong to)?

That pic of the kde switch is old, only to show the switching method