Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Weird Problems

Hybrid View

Default Firefox Weird Problems

I am running openSuse 11.2, Firefox 3.5.7 and have the following strange problems. Radio buttons on web pages have no response when clicked. From the menu bar - Clicking Edit, Preferences, does nothing. Also from the menu bar - Clicking Help, About Firefox, does nothing. This starting after auto update today. I've tried installing FF 3.6, messed around with xulrunner plus a ton of other things. Any ideas? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox Weird Problems

What web site? Or does this happen on all websites with radio buttons? What plugins do you have enabled in Firefox?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Assuming it is a Firefox issue (not sure) :

• Exit Firefox
    • Rename your ~/.mozilla directory
    • Restart Firefox

You will lose all your extensions and settings (but you backed up your .mozilla directory first). If it works you can investigate further to find out what is causing the problem.

I am using a pristine profile (I had deleted .mozilla) and it does happen on all websites. It sure appears to be a Firefox problem, everything else works and right now I am using Opera as my browser.

I will have to correct myself. Radio buttons work, it is the Java buttons that do not work. By going into about:config I see that Java is enabled. At least I have some direction where to look now - I hope.

Does it make a difference if you disable java? Also GTK is responsible for drawing some buttons on FireFox. Try to change the GTK theme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikislate View Post
    I am using a pristine profile (I had deleted .mozilla) and it does happen on all websites. It sure appears to be a Firefox problem, everything else works and right now I am using Opera as my browser.

Well, thank you for confirming it happens on all sites. This tells me it is something with Firefox. You telling me that it doesn't occur on Opera is meaningless to me. Why? Because Opera is it's own program. I need to know what plugins are showing up in Firefox. There are a few ways to do this. Go to Tools>Add-Ons, once in Add-Ons click on plugins. Another way is to type in the address bar
    Code:
    about:plugins
    Don't delete stuff. Instead, rename things. For example.
    Code:
    mv .mozilla .mozilla.old
    This way, once you solve it, you can either restore bits of your profile, such as bookmarks, passwords, cookies, cache, and so on, or you can restore the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikislate View Post
    I will have to correct myself. Radio buttons work, it is the Java buttons that do not work. By going into about:config I see that Java is enabled. At least I have some direction where to look now - I hope.
    There is a report of Firefox breaking java with the 3.6 release. I don't know about 3.5.7. What I'd suggest is go with the default Firefox out of the oss repository, or off the CD/DVD. At least then java will work.

If anyone else has a way of solving java and 3.6 I'm all ears. I tried installing java manually and that didn't help.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post

If anyone else has a way of solving java and 3.6 I'm all ears. I tried installing java manually and that didn't help.
    Got it. Link this libnpjp2.so to browser-plugins. libnpjp2.so is found in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_18/lib/amd64

In my case I can delete .mozilla, it was just a link. And the statement "Opera is it's own program" make me lose any confidence I had for this place. I am going elsewhere for help.

Something happened to me today - in 11.1 x86_64 I did a YaST update to firefox and it suddenly won't start (the update to Thunderbird went OK). No errors, nothing - just won't start. Also Epiphany starts, builds the GUI, then disappears. Tried to switch to SeaMonkey, and it runs, but it failed to import all my settings from Firefox - and it keeps asking for some weird password on startup and whenever I try to save settings. Seems it's a new-version bug...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast