Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repositories / Priority

Default Repositories / Priority

Hi,

is it still useful/needed/effective to set different priorities for each repo in order to control the update?

Means: if I set repo A to prio 50 and repo B to 99 and do "up" or "dup" will that pull the packages from repo A (even if in B are higher version numbers)? Or does zypper simply look for the highest available version and install that?

I saw different threads in this forum telling not to use priorities.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Repositories / Priority

No
    Not in 11.2
    Use the Package switcher to force upgrade on community repos if necessary and finally on Packman to maintain multimedia.

11.1 = Yes
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks. That's what I thought.
    But why is there still that option to set priorities? Or is there any possibility to change the behaviour to that in 11.1?

Wait...I think I see...
    If I do the first vendor change like the way I want to have the repos used (either by yast - switch system packages...or zypper dup -r $REPO) a regular update won't change the vendors.

But if I do a "dup" at any time with all repos active, it could change the order my repos are used.

Is that right?
    Why was that option removed?

Blog Entries

Basically yes that's it. Because I use factory I update with software management and filter by repo. Update all in this list if newer ver avail. But obviously I have already used the switcher on the repos as required, doing it last on Packman.
    And yes, 'dup' from the terminal will upgrade to newer packages wherever they are available - regardless of the switch.
    The repo priority can be used, but personally I see it largely redundant now.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Apologies, but I don't get it exactly.
    Leaving "dup" aside (which would always get newest package regardless of vendor or prio)...

Let's say I have some repos from build service and some real 3rd party repos. So the repos from buildservice have the same vendor (buildservice), all others have different vendors.
    Doing an update with just "up" would give me the latest version of a package within the same vendor. Can that still be changed by priority?

Let's say there is an update available in KDE:Community (prio 40) and KDE4:Community:Factory (prio 99) with higher version in KDE4:Community:Factory. Would the priority be effective and the update from KDE:Community installed if I do a simple zypper up?

I tried to test that with some dummy packages in local repos, but that's a bit over-the-top for me

Blog Entries

I only have 1 update available ATM. it's from the wine repo.
    zypper lu shows the update regardless of the repo priority

I don't have time ATM to do any more research on this, apart from the fact that for me it's slightly pointless since updates now work differently. And your question about 'Do we still need the priority feature' seems to be a good point.
    Perhaps a question to put to the devs in the IRC #suse
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Thanks for your input so far
    The point is that there's no documentation for all this. At least I did not found anything.

I think I'll really forward that question into IRC later.

Good thread! I have these same questions too. I have the priorities set on my repos, but if that doesn't help, then I am wasting my time doing it. I would like a definitive answer on this topic. I saw another thread today and could not help answer it because I had read this one and realized I no longer know what to do.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

Blog Entries

In 11.2
    Default settings has all at 99
    You can just run zypper up and all is well.

Once you add community repo's like kde4 factory and packman, you need to tell the system that you want it use packages from those and so replace the base system oss and update with packages from the community.

I do it this way on a installed and updated system. I add kde repo's and do this

Then add all the packman stuff and do this
    http://tinyurl.com/yejwull

From then on. I zypper up just fine on a regular basis. Or update all in yast repo lists (software management)

You may need to use the switches again when there is big shift in kde factory.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I did the switches, but I still set the priority as well. So, the priority is not used at all anymore, or does it still work? No hurry on the answer. Just curious.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast