View Poll Results: Would you buy a native Linux version of Microsoft Office?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 22.22%
  • No, I'm not going to support M$

6 16.67%
  • No, MS Office sucks

6 16.67%
  • No, I don't pay for software

3 8.33%
  • No, I only want to use open source software

5 13.89%
  • No, because of another reason

8 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you have bought MSO if a native version existed?

Default Re: Would you have bought MSO if a native version existed?

I voted No, because:
    1. I rarely need to use an office suit and therefore buy one. If i need to edit text i use something simple like Kate or for more complex editing i use OOo or Google Docs.
    2. I don't see the advantages of using MS Office over the free open source alternatives.
    3. I do not wish to support Microsoft's proprietary format for documents.
    openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ | 2GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 3450 | Gigabyte M68SM-S2L | 320 GB HDD

My wife is a legal secretary and she much prefers OOO. Me I'm simple I like the new Koffice

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 01:36 +0000, Penguinclaw wrote:
    > My wife is a legal secretary and she much prefers OOO. Me I'm simple I
    > like the new Koffice
    >
    >

Koffice architecturally, beats the snot out of OOo. So... as it
    matures it (should) become the lightweight yet more feature laden
    office productivity package.... ideally.

Besides, since Sun GAVE UP (sorry but they did it to themselves),
    some of the future of OOo could be in question.

I voted No - for other reasons. If this was asked about 5-6 years ago then I may have voted yes as OO.o was a little behind and limited then in comparison. But now OO.o does everything I need.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

No, I'm not going to support M$ + No, MS Office sucks

OO does everything I need.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 17-Feb-2010 at 12:15. Reason: trimmed sentence
    OpenSuse 11.2 x64 + Kde 4.4.2 Release 234

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 01:36 +0000, Penguinclaw wrote:
    > My wife is a legal secretary and she much prefers OOO. Me I'm simple I
    > like the new Koffice
    >
    >

Koffice architecturally, beats the snot out of OOo. So... as it
    matures it (should) become the lightweight yet more feature laden
    office productivity package.... ideally.

Besides, since Sun GAVE UP (sorry but they did it to themselves),
    some of the future of OOo could be in question.
    I've liked KOffice.

IBM's Symphony (OpenOffice fork) has a nicer interface than OpenOffice, but very heavy the last time I tried it.

The good side is that if Oracle kills (whether the quick death, or slow unsupported death) OpenOffice, then Symphony and GoOO may be able to take its place.

The bad side is that depending on how they are developing it, they may be able to charge for it.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

No, but I would gladly buy all the fonts that are present in Microsoft Products

The only pro's I see which favor MS Office are:

# Eye Candy
    # Ease of Usage
    # Increased Productivity for retards

I do own a Microsoft Office Student, but I stopped using MS Office some time ago. The only issue I had was to take a pen into my brothers laptop and snatch microsoft fonts so that I could turn in papers in word format (as requested by my university) without having problems.

Most universities I know that don't operate inside the IT scope have nice agreements with companies like IBM, Microsoft and such to bound students to their tools, cheap example:

IBM SPSS > Alternative: PSPP

Why should we use PSPP if it's unstable and SPSS Licences are offered to my university students? When they hit the work markets, they will be bound to SPSS, and thats revenue for IBM

Microsoft does it at low level starting at very beginning of your student life with Office.

It's about time someone can throw down our governaments and establish new guardians to ensure a nicer future for us, killing the domination of Federal Reservers and Central European Banks, send a battalion of space marines to assassinate the International Banking Lobby, Builderberg, Masons, etc... and take back what is ours before all is lost.

My road to World Domination!
    It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver. - Niccolo Machiavelli

At work I have quite a capable machine a Lenovo T61P. It came with Vista Ultimate, which was downgraded to XP by our corporate IT dept. Go figure. Predictably the corporate standard is the M$ Office suite. However, I have the Sun odt plugin installed, which allows M$ Office to read from and save odf files. Further I have Virtual box installed, which allows me to run a variety of Linux's from within XP. The Linux guests share the local folders with the host system.

At home I'm pure Linux, I access M$ Office applications and my corporate Outlook account via Citrix, which also gives me access to the corporate network drives. So at home I can also have M$ Office and OOo open on the same desktop too.

In order to facilitate smooth interoperability between M$ Office and OOo I have found these steps helpful:

Install Windows fonts in Linux, if you have a Winblows license sticker on your PC or are dual boot you can do this without violation of the Windows license.

Save Office templates as OOo templates so that margins, spacing, fonts etc. are all the same.

Anchor tables, graphics, pictures etc. to a character as opposed to a page or paragraph, they will then always be in the right place on transfer.

You can then save in odf or office formats and it shouldn't make much of a difference. Very occasionally you might see something but it usually relates to graphics formatting.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12