Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAMP and Drupal

Default LAMP and Drupal

I wanted to create and host a simple website using LAMP and Drupal. I read an article in a Linux magazine a while back on how to do this, but can't seem to find any instructions. Can someone direct me to a site or link that has step by step instructions on setting up lamp and drupal?

Default Re: LAMP and Drupal

For drupal there is a short description at

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/02/10/ins...pal-on-a-lamp-
    server/

I was a little bit short on time when I posted, so here is the
    second pointer for the lamp:

http://www.susegeek.com/internet-bro...onfigure-lamp-
    apachemysqlphp-in-opensuse-110/

It is fairly trivial to setup lamp for opensuse, hope this helps
    you and please ask again if there are special problems.

For the record, I've read the how-to's for the last two days for Apache (got that to work), PHP (not sure), and MySQL (definitely NOT working). I've followed many links that seem to explain how to get a LAMP stack installed. I've been able to see and correct some of the typos (for example, where HTML renders two hyphens in a command as a dash).

BUT, MySQL beats me. Nothing seems to happen for me the way it's described in the how-to, posting, or manual (did you know the MySQL manual is over 3300 pages?). Installed apps don't appear in the expected directory locations (figured that out in Apache 2.2 on openSuSE 11.1). Responses aren't as described (e.g., rcmysql status returns "dead" rather than the expected unused).

phpMyAdmin may be the worst: the file Documents.html refers to programs and scripts that don't seem to exist or work (the Setup script index.php only opens as a text file using the process described).

Is there something special or unusual about oS 11.1 that makes the available notes inapplicable? Is there a source other than the two cited in this thread?

Pardon me if my frustration is showing.

Blog Entries

Were you trying to install a non-SUSE LAMP stack? That's doing things the hard way. SUSE provides LAMP and it just works. After that you just add drupal. You can also get a phpMyAdmin package from software.suse.org.

Tried the AMP components installed with Yast2, both through s/w manager and the command line. Tried installing them individually and as a "web and LAMP server" pattern. Is it the pattern install that you were thinking of when you said it 'just works'? How much of the current installations must I clean out to give a new pattern install a good chance of success?

phpMyAdmin was downloaded from that site. Will install from software.suse.org.

Blog Entries

If you have some foreign packages you should probably remove all the directories and files it created.

Yes it just works, but you have to enable the services (apache2, mysql, php module) in YaST, this does not happen when the package is installed, unlike some other distros less cautious about security.

Gotcha. Will start over with the YaST2 LAMP pattern first. I believe I know how to enable the services by changing the status for run levels 2, 3, and 5.

As a test, installed the LAMP pattern on another machine (a notebook) also running openSuSE 11.1. The apps installed, I enabled them in Yast, and rcmysql and rcapache2 report they are running. That's a better start that my previous effort, so will try the same approach on the server. PHP isn't in the process list, but I believe I recall reading that it is invoked only when needed to interpret scrips.

Thanks, Flux Capacitor (Just watched "Back to the Future" again this week :-)

Blog Entries

You enable PHP in the list of Apache modules, not in the services list. The PHP interpreter is not a service, it's a module loaded by Apache.

Be aware that openSUSE 11.2 ships with PHP 5.3. I don't know if Drupal has fixed up the problems that caused it to not run under 5.3, but require 5.2.

I'm thinking the MAN pages are like Gradma's special desert receipes, which never contained every step in the process or left out an ingredient.
    Started from scratch with a fresh install of 11.1 (11.2 doesn't seem to work in this machine). Then did the patches (tons of them) and used the Yast LAMP pattern to install AMP.
    Following the MySQL manual (without reading all 3300 pages) I ran the mysql_install_db. I suspect that running it a regular user (non-root) other than u= mysql caused a problem. When I later tried to create user mysql in Yast, I couldn't because that name was in use--but it didn't show up on the Yast list of user.
    So, can anyone take me back to square -1 and tell me how I should be logged in for each of these installs? It is not obvious to one who hasn't done it before. I'd do it as root all the way and avoid restrictions from permissions, but the MySQL manual says don't do that. My frustration is seeping out--have to go mop it up.
    Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast