Thread: What is the best virtual machine to run windows?

Default What is the best virtual machine to run windows?

Hi everyone, I have openSUSE 11.2 x64 natively installed on my PC.

What is the best virtual machine that I can run on openSUSE in order to run XP Pro x64 and Windows 7 x64.

By best I mean opensource, lightweight, and stable.

thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the best virtual machine to run windows?

Virtual Box
    You can get the PUEL version not opensource but free for personal use
    Virtual Box (Sun Version) Install HowTo - openSUSE Forums

You can install the OSE from the suse repo's
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

VirtualBox (also available as an open source version with some features missing). Easy to use, supports multiple operating systems, snapshots, seamless mode, never crashed on me. Perfect for hassle-free and simple virtualization.

"Lightweight" is hardly possible, though. Virtualization software provides a fully working operating system, and to do so it needs the same ressources as it would on a regular machine.

VirtualBox is amazing, fast, userfriendly, very stable, available for many OS in binary form, i.e Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris, as well as in sources for BSD ports collections.

'Unfortunately' ... it's hard to tell what Oracle (who just acquired Sun, and so MySQL and VirtualBox) is planning to do with that remarquable piece of sotware. I'm slowly considering moving to KVM.

yes, VirtualBox PUEL edition from the Sun Website as it supports USB devices if you want to print,scan,copy etc...
    Cheers, Big Ears!

DΞLL Precision M6500: i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, Intel x-25M 160 G2 + 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300//Win7Pro x64
    DΞLL Vostro 1220 //openSUSE 11.3 KDE/Win7Pro 32

I too vote for VirtualBox even though I have the same concerns mentioned by please_try_again.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Cool thanks people. I installed Virtual Box and it is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    'Unfortunately' ... it's hard to tell what Oracle (who just acquired Sun, and so MySQL and VirtualBox) is planning to do with that remarquable piece of sotware. I'm slowly considering moving to KVM.
    I would even join: "Java, MySQL and VirtualBox". But if I well recall, the opensource version should be OK even if they go out of mind (then we just loose the USB option in virtualbox) and if we really thing THAT way, we would have stopped to use Linux in the very moment SCO did start the never-ending story. Then, why should Oracle destroy it's own preeminent user base instead of opting for a business model like Novell? They would even create the bases of future refusals of fusions in Europe (since the EU Commission did evaluate the risk of dominant position low in the current context - and they are going to show they where wrong?? Do not think so.)

If you need a handy solution running XP and other operating systems in Linux (especially if you have currently non-substitutable win software then Virtual Box seems also for me the best solution.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.