Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971033) - Caution!

Default Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971033) - Caution!

This is not the right place for posting this kind of info. So I apologize in advance ... However, according to the many posts I've read here about Windows 7/Linux dual or triple boot, I would assume that some of you guys might be concerned about what's going on in the next Windows 7 update, scheduled on february 16.

Here's the article: Lauren Weinstein's Blog: Who Owns Your PC? New Anti-Piracy Windows 7 Update "Phones Home" to Microsoft Every 90 Days

Blog Entries

Default Re: Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971033) - Caution!

Interesting if only for the measure of 'sadness' it confirms. For all those windows users that think that win7 is the 'Dog's *******s', think again. And last time I looked, where Dog's *******s are concerned, you'll be licking your own. Have fun with that.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

The counterbalancing view is here:
    Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7 - Genuine Windows Blog - The Windows Blog
    No doubt it's as biased as the first one, so it's interesting to read both.

Forget about the burly men coming in the door. That's not for at least a decade yet. But the real issue of Msoft remotely disabling (to a small degree) the intellectual property that was stolen from them is indeed interesting.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

People who would never shoplift, seem to feel no guilt about running pirated copies of Windows. It's still theft, but they don't look at it that way. And when Microsoft fixes the hole that was being used, the pirates find another hole to exploit and the masses will download, format and install the new pirated version.

I can't blame Microsoft for trying to stop the pirates or the masses of users that want a free ride. However, many people do blame them and call them evil for creating things like Genuine Validation, and blacklisting CD keys. They get on the web and blog about how wrong Microsoft to invade the pirates privacy. WHAAAAAAAAA!

These people could use Linux, but their conscience doesn't seem to bother them enough to do that. Many of them could easily afford to pay for a copy of Windows, but are too cheap to do so. Some will just use a pirated copy and never install updates, and run a vulnerable system that becomes part of some bot-net.

All three of my PCs can pass validation and I won't have any issue with applying the patch. I can also sleep well, because I have no guilty conscience to keep me awake.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

If you run Windows you need to pay for it's use. What I can not understand is why MS thinks that a certified copy would need to be rechecked every 90 or fewer days to see if it is still certified???? All it will take is some blackhat to write a virus/Trojan the makes it look like a copy is not certified and all hell will break out. Change a few DLL check sums here and there should do it. What is MS thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you run Windows you need to pay for it's use. What I can not understand is why MS thinks that a certified copy would need to be rechecked every 90 or fewer days to see if it is still certified???? All it will take is some blackhat to write a virus/Trojan the makes it look like a copy is not certified and all hell will break out. Change a few DLL check sums here and there should do it. What is MS thinking?
    That's a good point. It seems that about once a week, I do something that causes my PC to have to validate Windows again. I would think that once it has passed validation, that should be good enough. If it was validated when installed and activated, what would cause it to become a pirated version later?
    Free Fractal Wallpapers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Phillips
    gogalthorp;2120296 Wrote:
    > If you run Windows you need to pay for it's use. What I can not
    > understand is why MS thinks that a certified copy would need to be
    > rechecked every 90 or fewer days to see if it is still certified????
    > All it will take is some blackhat to write a virus/Trojan the makes
    > it look like a copy is not certified and all hell will break out.
    > Change a few DLL check sums here and there should do it. What is MS
    > thinking?

That's a good point. It seems that about once a week, I do something
    that causes my PC to have to validate Windows again. I would think that
    once it has passed validation, that should be good enough. If it was
    validated when installed and activated, what would cause it to become a
    pirated version later?
    Hi
    Replace a critical component eg hard disk, video card etc or re-install.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
    up 6 days 10:37, 4 users, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Replace a critical component eg hard disk, video card etc or re-install.
    Yes, but that should not make it a pirated version.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers

Can you understand...

• Why they use to put MAC addresses in Word and Excel documents ? That was before complaining bloggers time. But there were already clever journalists in Germany to report what ended up beeing a bug in MS Office and fair enough judges to con**** MS for privacy violation?
    • Why doesn't this forum let you write C O N D A M N in good english?
    • And why did MS invent Win Modems (and why it suddenly became impossible to find 'real' modems ? )
    • And why did MS hire IBM programmers ... and why did OS/2 die ?
    • And why did BeOS suddenly stop existing ?
    • And how come that Linux included SCO code (actually stolen from BSD)?
    • And why can you buy laptops with Windows 7 preinstalled, probably a Windows license (dunno) but no Windows original DVD, just an image, sometimes not even the OS image but some OEM rescue stuff that you are supposed to burn yourself, even on machine without DVD writer at all?
    • And what did Steve Ballmer ingest or inhale as he called Linux "as cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches" ?
    • And why should you buy him crack (again and again): YouTube - Steve Ballmer going crazy
    • And why am I regarded as a criminal when I ask for a BSD compatible mainboard in computer stores?

I don't know the reason of this mess ... but I suspect that too many people sleeping well might have their part of responsibility about which pratices should be considered acceptable or not. (Unfortunately this is not limited to Operating systems). If ever there were a 'conscience' in this world, it has never been on MS side.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    This is not the right place for posting this kind of info. So I apologize in advance ... However, according to the many posts I've read here about Windows 7/Linux dual or triple boot, I would assume that some of you guys might be concerned about what's going on in the next Windows 7 update, scheduled on february 16.

Here's the article: Lauren Weinstein's Blog: Who Owns Your PC? New Anti-Piracy Windows 7 Update "Phones Home" to Microsoft Every 90 Days
    It's very disturbing that MS more and more puts the average user under general suspect, following the motto "Guilty until proven innocent"
    With this, they now classify everyone as evil pirate, regardless if they are or not, and everyone has to prove every 90 days that he/she is innocent and not a pirate, by means of the phone-home update.

Also, let's not forget how sloppily programmed this activation stuff generally is. In the past, there already were a lot of false positives, of innocent people wrongly classified as pirates. I doubt it will be much different here.

With some luck though, MS will shoot into their own foot with this update, and if people get as angry about it as they should, then there's a good chance they'll become smart enough to turn their back to Windows.

btw: I think this should be moved to "General chit-chat" or even "Soapbox".
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 14-Feb-2010 at 14:42. Reason: To conform with T&C's
    OpenSuse 11.2 x64 + Kde 4.4.2 Release 234

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast