VirtualBox Windows System Restore

I have a query over my VBox installation.

It generally works fine - a couple of issues which I’m trying to get resolved elsewhere.

My question is this: My laptop currently dual-boots Windows 7 and openSUSE, with openSUSE being the default. I have XP as a guest under VB. Is it possible for me to create a system image of the Windows 7 operating system, install W7 as a guest under Linux and then restore the backed-up OS so that I would have W7 as a guest (no more XP) but with the same configuration / apps as the original OS?

In summary, this is what I want to achieve:

Current:
Dual-boot openSUSE 11.1 & Windows 7
VBOx Guest = Windows XP

Desired:
Dual-boot openSUSE 11.1 & Windows 7
VBox Guest = Windows 7 (identical config as the dual-boot version)

Why have two the same? Fed up rebooting into W7 when I need to use the installed apps.

Is this possible?

No that won’t work because the existing W7 installation expects different hardware from what the VM offers.
However, there’s no reason why you can’t install W7 as a VM, provided you have a full installation DVD. You might run into problems with Microsoft’s validation routine (I did) as installation as a VM is regarded as installation on a different machine.

Thanks - of course there is different hardware. You’ve saved me a great deal of time and effort in trying to do something impossible.