Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to add an app shortcut to KDE panel?

Default How to add an app shortcut to KDE panel?

I rebuild my desktop after deleting my plasma config files but for the life of me cannot figure out how to place application shorts onto the panel.

The solutions I found by googling don't seem to apply to KDE4.4.0 or oS's implementation of it.

I've tried right clicking on the panel which according to KDE's docs should bring up a context menu which has the option to add application to the panel. This does not exist on my installation.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Default Re: How to add an app shortcut to KDE panel?

I usually pull them into the panel from desktop or kmenu.

I just drag them and drop them on it too. Just installed 4.4 last night and can verify that this still works.
    Free Fractal Wallpapers
    http://wilsonephillips.smugmug.com

This assumes that the shortcuts already exist on the desktop or in the folder widget - correct? The apps I wanted to make short cuts don't already have short cuts. So I'll have to create a shortcut on the desktop first then drag it. A bit long winded.

You should still be able to create a shortcut. Heck you can even create a shortcut to a movie if you wanted to. Just browse to the folder where the application is and drag the application to the panel. Just make sure it's in empty space and not somewhere like on the task manager. Easy as that. If need be, just right click on it and hit edit icon and set the icon or do whatever else you need to once it's set.

Verified using KDE 4.4.0 release 222

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Also make sure the miniprogramms are unlocked (since a shortcut is nothing else but a plasmoid / miniprogram to be addad). Dragging & dropping from the app-menu works fine here too.

I had a problem with this as well. The main problem was that if I made a 'Link to Application' on the desktop, it worked. If I then copied that link to a panel they both worked. But if I then deleted the original link, the panel copy wouldn't work. The only solution I found (with help) was to use menu editor and add the application to the KDE menu which would then allow me to drag it onto the panel.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfer99 View Post
    I had a problem with this as well. The main problem was that if I made a 'Link to Application' on the desktop, it worked. If I then copied that link to a panel they both worked. But if I then deleted the original link, the panel copy wouldn't work. The only solution I found (with help) was to use menu editor and add the application to the KDE menu which would then allow me to drag it onto the panel.
    That's what I found and is how I did it in the end too.

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    You should still be able to create a shortcut. Heck you can even create a shortcut to a movie if you wanted to. Just browse to the folder where the application is and drag the application to the panel. Just make sure it's in empty space and not somewhere like on the task manager. Easy as that. If need be, just right click on it and hit edit icon and set the icon or do whatever else you need to once it's set.

Verified using KDE 4.4.0 release 222

Take Care,

Ian
    I'll try that next time. It would be more intuitive if you right clicked on the panel and an option to add an application to the panel was offered in the context menu. You would then browse to the app and add it. And actually it seems from old KDE documentation (point 5.1) is how it once worked.

I wonder why they dropped that?

"Logic" is subjective after all. Simply pulling an icon to where it shall stay seems logic from *my* point of view...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast