Thread: Which NDISWRAPPER pkg to install & run?

Question Which NDISWRAPPER pkg to install & run?

Hi everyone!

Originally I used YAST's Software Packages to download and install ndiswrapper so that I can set up my Netgear wn511TA wireless card to work with GNOME openSUSE 11.2 default (2.6.31.8-0.1-default). I followed the guide in Ndiswrapper - openSUSE. I almost got it then was thrown off course by Network Manager. Now, back to square one.

1. Software Management shows 3 installed packages: ndiswrapper, ndiswrapper-kmp default and ndiswrapper desktop. Which of these should I run in order to install the Windows .INF driver file?

e.g. <ndiswrapper> -i <windriver.inf>
    or <ndiswrapper-kmp-default> -i <windriver.inf>

The reason for this is when I modprobe <ndiswrapper(?)>, I got: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31.8-0.1-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory

/etc/lib/modules is blank but home/user/lib/modules has the default 2.6.31.8-0.1-default module.

I appreciate your help

Default Re: Which NDISWRAPPER pkg to install & run?

The one that matches your kernel. Most likely desktop

Hi,

I just found out that the answer is ALWAYS "ndiswrapper". This is based on using "ndisinstaller" which does all the checks for kernel source, gcc, make, etc. before allowing one to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by taytong888 View Post
    The reason for this is when I modprobe <ndiswrapper(?)>, I got: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31.8-0.1-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    That error is because a new kernel has been installed but you haven't rebooted into it. It's a pretty broken package upgrade method.

Thanks for your reply. So, what's the correct way to upgrade? I use Software Management and Online Update.