Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no desktop panel after update

Default no desktop panel after update

I am running Open Suse 11.2 and did an update this weekend to get the latest patches and after a required reboot I no longer have a desktop panel or access to the computer menus, etc. I get to a login screen and I can see the panel at that point, but after I login I just get a desktop background. I can see the system is booting up and the "connect to wireless network succesful" comes up too, I just can't see the desktop panel. Anything I can try to get it back?

I am running this on an IBM T42p laptop and the xgl graphics are sweet but seems to have stopped as well.

Default Re: no desktop panel after update

Hi,

What graphics card do you have? And if you have nVidia or ati, did you compile your driver yourself or did you get the drivers from the repositories?

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

ATI Mobility RADEON and I used the default repositories during the install.

Can you please open up a terminal and provide the output of:

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    If you can't do anything in your desktop at all, log in using icewm session and open a terminal from there, or just hit ctrl+alt+f1, log in and enter your password, then type that code above.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by txrjohnson View Post
    I am running Open Suse 11.2 and did an update this weekend to get the latest patches and after a required reboot I no longer have a desktop panel or access to the computer menus, etc. I get to a login screen and I can see the panel at that point, but after I login I just get a desktop background. I can see the system is booting up and the "connect to wireless network succesful" comes up too, I just can't see the desktop panel. Anything I can try to get it back?

I am running this on an IBM T42p laptop and the xgl graphics are sweet but seems to have stopped as well.
    If you are running Gnome, it is a metacity issue that already has a bug report.

I'll try and dig up the solution somebody supplied me. In the meantime, what I did to get past that is
    1. log in as any account (doesn't matter who)
    2. Alt+Cntl+F2 to get into a terminal
    3. log in as root
    4. type
      Code:
      killall --user <username>
    5. re-login and it works
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

Got this possible work-around from a thread I was directed to on a thread I also started on this subject:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Dude_abides View Post
    niclau98118, so all you did is download and run
    metacity-2.28.0-2.12.1.i586.rpm from:
    Index of /repositories/home:/sbrabec:/branches:/openSUSE:/11.2:/Update/standard/i586

and it fixed your issue.

You haven't had this issue as G Y did at 2010-01-26 13:40:09 UTC comment 38 at https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=555027

"I tried the package 2.28.0-2.12.1.
    I start and shutdown 5 times. No problem at starting. But for me at shutdown
    nothing change : 3 of the 5 times I had the autologin and must push shutdown
    hardware button ...
    see comment 31
    Good day."

Before I download and run
    metacity-2.28.0-2.12.1.i586.rpm I just want to make sure all the bugs are fixed.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? If so, do this:

su -c 'mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.obsolete'

Reboot and see what happens.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will try these answers tonight and get back with you all! Don't have the laptop with me now.....

all the more reason not to install 11.2, despite what i have been advised "it works better".

still can't gnome panels working....oh lord

Well everyone, not exactly sure what happened, but it seems my OpenSuse 11,2 healed itself! I booted up when I got home to try all your remedies and the panel and xgl graphics are back! Thanks for the suggestions but I am back in business!

jagreen, My advice to you is reinstall if you are having problems and don't use the automatic install. When I did "custom" and went through the original steps, it installed fine! go for it. Suse rocks!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast