Thread: Can't chown Windows in 11.1

Default Can't chown Windows in 11.1

Greetings fellow Penguins.

I've got a bit of an issue here. I'm running OpenSUSE 11.1 with an old Windows XP drive slaved on the secondary cable. Works just find, as long as I sudo mount it (sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /windows/C) and I can access everything I have on the drive; this is not the issue. The issue is that I have another drive that I want to sync up. Eh, this needs to be a bit clearer.

When I have /windows/C mounted, it shows a padlock on the C drive, but not windows folder. (/windows/C). I have a dedicated entry in / to allow windows to work. I have maybe 25 folders in my Music folder that I want to sync to my /C drive, as I plan to re-install Suse on a bigger drive, and don't want to lose this music.

Upon su *password* into root, I can ls -l and I get
    Code:
    ls -l
    total 32
    drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 32768 1969-12-31 17:00 C
    Entirety of /etc/fstab reads:
    Code:
     /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD400BB-00DEA0_WD-WMAD12119715-part5 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD400BB-00DEA0_WD-WMAD12119715-part1 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD400BB-00DEA0_WD-WMAD12119715-part6 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2000JB-00GVA0_WD-WMAL81189945-part1 /windows/C           ntfs-3g    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /windows/C ntfs-3g umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,ro,nouser,noexec 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /mnt/ipod vfat noauto,user 0 0
    *note: I got a used iPod that stopped working, and figured I'd use it as an experiment... couldn't get it to work so I parted it out, just didn't remove entry from fstab*

With chown gabe /windows/C I get
    Code:
    chown: changing ownership of 'windows/C': Operation not permitted
    I'm aware that I probably have too much going on with my fstab entry for /windows/C but I have never been very good with understanding the syntaxes required for Linux... I much prefer Linux over Windows (much more stable) but if it's much more than mounting a specific device that I've done a thousand times, I have to email a friend with what I'm trying to do, and he has to basically write the code for me.

The reason I want to get this stuff transfered over is because I'm running out of room on my smaller drive and I figure I may as well utilize a 200GB HDD for something besides a paperweight. I know this drive will work, but I don't want to lose my current data that exists on my smaller drive. (I think my current drive is a 40? Not completely sure right now)

If anybody can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated; please let me know also if you need any other outputs or commands and I'll get them posted ASAP.

Thanks for taking time to help me with this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't chown Windows in 11.1

edit fstab change the windows entry to this

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2000JB-00GVA0_WD-WMAL81189945-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

you need to reboot after changing it

[edit]
    Just in case you don't know how to edit it
    open a terminal and type
    kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab
    or for gnome
    gnomesu gedit /etc/fstab
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thank you for the advice caf; however, I did as you suggested and edited my fstab file, with no success. Rebooted, and am still in the same position; in order to even get to my existing windows data, I still have to sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /windows/C.

Do I maybe have a redundant entry in fstab which would be causing Linux to not automatically mount the drive, which would be a good starting point itself? I seem to remember seeing, in the blur of startup data when you can hit Esc to see what's happening at boot, that there's a problem with /dev/sdb1, saying that there's not a valid... mount point? something? (I can't remember, it flashes by so fast and I'm tired)

It also mentions something about Fuse, which I recall has to do with NTFS file systems so perhaps there's really no way aside from a Knoppix Live CD to alter any of this data... As I said, I'm tired so I can't recall specifics at this point, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere online that technically, Linux is not supposed to be able to write to Any NTFS drive cause obviously doze uses NTFS and Linux uses ext(x), and I would think there would be about 2 dozen conflicting software errors or something like that.

Am I even close to the right path? Or am I just blowing smoke here?

Thanks again for the prompt reply, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to make more heads/tails of this stuff... looking forward to seeing more suggestions.

Blog Entries

Try changing to

/dev/sdb1 /windows/C ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

N.B
    You can comment out the old line with # - eg;

#/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2000JB-00GVA0_WD-WMAL81189945-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below