Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: openOffice data source problem

  1. #1
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default openOffice data source problem

    The database connection functions in openOffice Calc have stopped
    functioning for me after running for years. When I select from the menu
    (View -> Data Sources) or simply use the F4 shortcut key, Calc simply rolls
    over and dies.

    System: openOffice 3.1.1.4/5, openSUSE 11.2 X86_64, KDE4.3.1 or 4.3.3.

    History: function currently works with oS 11.1 and OO 3.1.1.5. A fresh
    install of 11.2/KDE4 works as well until I update the system at which point
    it rolls over.

    Methodology: Attempting to isolate the problem, I installed a clean copy of
    11.2 to clean partitions, skipping the updates during installation. Selected
    Data Sources and OO worked as expected. I next updated OO from the initial
    3.1.1.4 to 3.1.1.5. Using either yast or zypper to update, OO still worked
    as expected from both the menu and shortcut. I let yast update the entire
    system and OO failed - selecting data sources caused it to simply die with
    no immediate error notifications.

    The failure after updating the system with working OO installation suggests
    that the problem is in the system somewhere, not OO. I have tried the
    solutions offered in the various forums with no results. I have 3 questions
    before I spend any more time with this.

    1. Anybody got a solution at hand?

    2. Where the heck would OO log any errors? I don't even know where the
    crash is happening at this point.

    3. Can someone check me on this? The test is simple: open a Calc window and
    select Data Sources from the View->Data Sources item or with the F4 key.
    Any result other than an immediate termination will tell me it's a local
    problem and I can go back to the drawing board ;-)

    --
    Will Honea

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,822
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea
    The database connection functions in openOffice Calc
    have stopped functioning for me after running for years. When I select
    from the menu (View -> Data Sources) or simply use the F4 shortcut key,
    Calc simply rolls over and dies.

    System: openOffice 3.1.1.4/5, openSUSE 11.2 X86_64, KDE4.3.1 or 4.3.3.

    History: function currently works with oS 11.1 and OO 3.1.1.5. A fresh
    install of 11.2/KDE4 works as well until I update the system at which
    point it rolls over.

    Methodology: Attempting to isolate the problem, I installed a clean
    copy of 11.2 to clean partitions, skipping the updates during
    installation. Selected Data Sources and OO worked as expected. I next
    updated OO from the initial 3.1.1.4 to 3.1.1.5. Using either yast or
    zypper to update, OO still worked as expected from both the menu and
    shortcut. I let yast update the entire system and OO failed -
    selecting data sources caused it to simply die with no immediate error
    notifications.

    The failure after updating the system with working OO installation
    suggests that the problem is in the system somewhere, not OO. I have
    tried the solutions offered in the various forums with no results. I
    have 3 questions before I spend any more time with this.

    1. Anybody got a solution at hand?

    2. Where the heck would OO log any errors? I don't even know where the
    crash is happening at this point.

    3. Can someone check me on this? The test is simple: open a Calc window
    and select Data Sources from the View->Data Sources item or with the F4
    key. Any result other than an immediate termination will tell me it's a
    local problem and I can go back to the drawing board ;-)
    Hi
    Works fine on 32bit with 3.1.1.4 so where is 3.1.1.5 coming from? If
    it's not from the standard update repository this would be an issue.

    Can you post the output from;
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Note: the above command is the trademark of caf4926

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
    up 21 days 6:48, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.06
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53


  3. #3
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    malcolmlewis wrote:

    >
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea
    The database connection functions in openOffice Calc
    > have stopped functioning for me after running for years. When I select
    > from the menu (View -> Data Sources) or simply use the F4 shortcut key,
    > Calc simply rolls over and dies.
    >
    > System: openOffice 3.1.1.4/5, openSUSE 11.2 X86_64, KDE4.3.1 or 4.3.3.
    >
    > History: function currently works with oS 11.1 and OO 3.1.1.5. A fresh
    > install of 11.2/KDE4 works as well until I update the system at which
    > point it rolls over.
    >
    > Methodology: Attempting to isolate the problem, I installed a clean
    > copy of 11.2 to clean partitions, skipping the updates during
    > installation. Selected Data Sources and OO worked as expected. I next
    > updated OO from the initial 3.1.1.4 to 3.1.1.5. Using either yast or
    > zypper to update, OO still worked as expected from both the menu and
    > shortcut. I let yast update the entire system and OO failed -
    > selecting data sources caused it to simply die with no immediate error
    > notifications.
    >
    > The failure after updating the system with working OO installation
    > suggests that the problem is in the system somewhere, not OO. I have
    > tried the solutions offered in the various forums with no results. I
    > have 3 questions before I spend any more time with this.
    >
    > 1. Anybody got a solution at hand?
    >
    > 2. Where the heck would OO log any errors? I don't even know where the
    > crash is happening at this point.
    >
    > 3. Can someone check me on this? The test is simple: open a Calc window
    > and select Data Sources from the View->Data Sources item or with the F4
    > key. Any result other than an immediate termination will tell me it's a
    > local problem and I can go back to the drawing board ;-)
    >
    >
    > Hi
    > Works fine on 32bit with 3.1.1.4 so where is 3.1.1.5 coming from? If
    > it's not from the standard update repository this would be an issue.
    >
    > Can you post the output from;
    >
    Code:
    > zypper lr -d
    >
    > Note: the above command is the trademark of caf4926
    >


    Good catch - this only affect the 64-bit versions here as well. The couple
    of 32-bit installations are still good to go. The OO 3.1.1.5 comes from the
    build service OO repo. I tried that on the off chance that there was some
    screwy dependency problem between the updated system files and the initial
    OO 3.1.1.4 version but no go - either openOffice version works equally well
    until I update system code.

    From the last test version - bone stock except for Nvidia video so I could
    read it.

    Code:
    ========
    zypper lr -d

    # | Alias | Name |
    Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI
    | Service
    --+-------------------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | NVIDIA Repository | NVIDIA Repository | Yes
    | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/
    |
    2 | http-download.opensuse.org-1ec8ab53 | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes
    | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.2/
    |
    3 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | No
    | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///
    |
    4 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No
    | Yes | 99 | NONE |
    http://download.opensuse.org/debug/d...11.2/repo/oss/ |
    5 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes
    | Yes | 99 | yast2 |
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/ |
    6 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes
    | Yes | 99 | yast2 |
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...11.2/repo/oss/ |
    7 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No
    | Yes | 99 | NONE |
    http://download.opensuse.org/source/...11.2/repo/oss/ |

    --
    Will Honea

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,822
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea

    > Hi
    > Works fine on 32bit with 3.1.1.4 so where is 3.1.1.5 coming from? If
    > it's not from the standard update repository this would be an issue.
    >
    > Can you post the output from;
    >
    Code:
    > zypper lr -d
    >
    > Note: the above command is the trademark of caf4926
    >


    Good catch - this only affect the 64-bit versions here as well. The
    couple of 32-bit installations are still good to go. The OO 3.1.1.5
    comes from the build service OO repo. I tried that on the off chance
    that there was some screwy dependency problem between the updated
    system files and the initial OO 3.1.1.4 version but no go - either
    openOffice version works equally well until I update system code.

    From the last test version - bone stock except for Nvidia video so I
    could read it.
    Hi
    Well I would ensure you have the standard 3.1.1.4 and then run strace
    out to a file to start;
    Code:
    strace -o oo_data_crash.txt oocalc
    Then upload the out put to pastebin.com and post back the url.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.42-0.1-default
    up 21 days 7:47, 4 users, load average: 0.19, 0.22, 0.18
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53


  5. #5
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    malcolmlewis wrote:

    >
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea

    >> Hi
    >> Works fine on 32bit with 3.1.1.4 so where is 3.1.1.5 coming from? If
    >> it's not from the standard update repository this would be an issue.
    >>
    >> Can you post the output from;
    >>
    Code:
    >> zypper lr -d
    >>
    >> Note: the above command is the trademark of caf4926
    >>

    >
    > Good catch - this only affect the 64-bit versions here as well. The
    > couple of 32-bit installations are still good to go. The OO 3.1.1.5
    > comes from the build service OO repo. I tried that on the off chance
    > that there was some screwy dependency problem between the updated
    > system files and the initial OO 3.1.1.4 version but no go - either
    > openOffice version works equally well until I update system code.
    >
    > From the last test version - bone stock except for Nvidia video so I
    > could read it.
    >
    > Hi
    > Well I would ensure you have the standard 3.1.1.4 and then run strace
    > out to a file to start;
    >
    Code:
    > strace -o oo_data_crash.txt oocalc
    >
    > Then upload the out put to pastebin.com and post back the url.


    Got called out so I'll get this when I get this other fire put out ;-)

    I'll also get a test setup so that we can see both the proper behavior trace
    vs. the crash case - that trace file is tedious to find things in.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. #6

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    I have confirmed the behavior. Here is a trace for the standard 3.1.1.4 build: http://pastebin.com/m68adbdba. The behavior also exists in the 3.1.1.5 build from the OpenOffice.org:STABLE repo. (Both 64-bit.)

  7. #7
    palladium NNTP User

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    david b 0 wrote:
    > I have confirmed the behavior.


    anyone logged a bug yet?

    see: http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

    --
    palladium

  8. #8
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: openOffice data source problem

    palladium wrote:

    > david b 0 wrote:
    >> I have confirmed the behavior.

    >
    > anyone logged a bug yet?
    >
    > see: http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports


    Arrrggh! Now I know why I lost so much hair during those years as a
    developer!

    Trying to get a good clean test case, I re-installed 11.2 to two clean
    partitions. To make sure I had a repeatable test case, I installed w/o
    updating during the installation. Ran Calc and all worked as I expected so
    I had a clean trace file. Ran the online update which had always exposed
    the problem before - but this time Calc ran correctly for the data source
    test. First time it has done that since I started messing with 11.2. I
    still have a data problem with loading dBase (.dbf files) but the data
    source issue was not there on this installation. I'll compare the trace
    files with what david posted to see if anything pops out but... You can't
    fix what you can't find. Whatever the source of this issue is, it isn't a
    clear cut problem at this point since find a case where it didn't repeat.

    Given all the problems with 11.2/KDE4.3.1 I've pretty much decided to keep
    everyone on 11.1, skip 11.2, and concentrate my time on 11.3 for the next
    upgrade here. If I'm going to beta test, I might as well do it with the
    next unit to come down the pike instead of one likely to be superceded
    before the problems are all resolved for 11.2. I'll keep records of this
    latest install and post back if I can isolate the problem then file a bug
    report. Right now, I've spent way more time than I want to on this
    already.

    I do appreciate the comments here - this is the first major debug effort
    I've had to make using Linux so the strace pointer was much appreciated.
    maybe that will pay off yet.

    --
    Will Honea

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •