How to install Xampp in suse linux 11.2

Hi,
i am new to suse linux, please any one tell me how to use Xampp and also how to configure mail agent in it

The required steps are described on apache friends - xampp for linux

Ok different noob here- I downloaded xampp per the web site cited and file roller places it in the download files window (but where exactly is this link at?) I tried to locate it as a local user and as a root and cannot find the tar file to extract it?

I’m trying to stay away from using root anymore than necessary but when some of these non rpm files are downloded and installed it becomes somewhat of a challenge to use/locate them when installed as root. forgive my ignorance.
Perhaps you could give me a quick course in using visudo to setup sudouser?

Then you should stay away from Xampp in the first place.

wow, that’s real helpfull advice?? almost as if your one a those who like to start a lil flame eh?

Read the Xampp-Homepage and what they say about Xampp, especially where NOT to use it.

If that is not enough, Install it (instructions are on that page, easy to find) and try to start it as a non-root user.

If you really want to use a LAMP(P)-system, then install the packages provided by your distribution, everything there, so why install some 3rd-party stuff?

I use LAMP distribution provided by the openSUSE. If you want to run a webserver It is simple to use the builtin package set and configure it rather to install XAMP or anything. You can find here how simply you can configure LAMP in SUSE with few easy steps.
http://www.susegeek.com/internet-browser/install-configure-lamp-apachemysqlphp-in-opensuse-110/rotfl!

Please, you’re right, but ignore this. You will see there’s loads of people here that will provide help.

The install and configuration on openSUSE is super-easy:
Install the Web and LAMP Server pattern through the software installer. This will install all needed.
Configure the webserver through Yast-Network services-HTTP server.
That’s all. If you need more help on configuring/getting it running/solving problems, the best you can do is post a new thread in “Network”.

As a rule: for any software you’re looking for, first check if packages are available for your openSUSE version. This is the place to start:
Software.openSUSE.org

Good luck.

@willedoit I apologise for the unhelpful remark by Akoellh in his first post.

@Akoellh, we’ve asked you before to stop being rude to the community members. Please reconsider how you talk in these forums.

Thanks folks, I was aware there are a couple o’ flavors of ?amp but was unsure what is available in the OPENSUSE distro - so the different flavors I searched for in the repos came up blank.

I wish ill to no body but with reference to malice and stupidity I would wonder if one knows the difference twixt stupidity and ignorance? nuff said.

I plead ignorance using linux (this is a curable affliction-with a lil help from the likes of the last two posters).

I realize that root privileges are needed to setup/maintain the tools in lamp, but it would appear that one is encouraged to use root privileges
judiciously/moderately.

Since you folks are obviosly more experienced hands at the gui interface (gnome in this case) could you run down how to access files- downloaded by file roller-from the commandline?

Thanks again folks!!

I’m confused how do you download files with File Roller? It is an archive program.

If you are installing software from *.gz type files most likely you are installing from source code. There should be instructions in the form of a readme file in the archive. What additional programs and libraries you need depends… In general you will need the gcc compiler installed.

Are the packages you want to install NOT in the repositories? It is better to install from thee repos rather then trying to build from source.

You know what LAMPP stands for?

Linux

Apache

Mysql

Perl

Php

(or sometimes one of the p’s is for Python)

Well, ignorance is a hard word, but you certainly ignored the direct hint to read the documentation of XAMPP.

My first post was the indirect way, because I assumed, if you actually have clicked on that link in the second post you should not only see a direct link to detailed “no brainer” installation instructions for Xampp but maybe read what software you are installing, before you try to install it.

But instead of thinking “well, that was perhaps a slightly strange answer, but maybe, just maybe there was a reason for that” you just thought I have no clue, what I am talking about and just wanted to start a flame war instead of giving you a good hint.

Now I consider that rude, too.

You are trying to install and run a -rather complex- ensemble of services on your machine, I would consider it the better way to read first and then install, especially if you want to provide your services to “the world outside the LAN” some day.

Yes, the installation instructions on the XAMPP home page are about command line, but if you really want to run a server, you should start getting familiar with that, because a real linux server (say, if you will rent one of them one day) does not have a GUI and there is none needed, not because one must operate it from CLI, but because one can do that (and for security reasons).

Maybe for starting them, but not for running them and that’s the point.

No, you just “moderately” use root privileges once when starting XAMPP, but everything will run as root and by default without a password for databases.

Something you would have easily found by just reading the documentation on the web page (at least the bit about passwords).

If it is considered “rude” to make users getting the solution themselves by just giving a hint, then I pleade guilty of being “rude”, but a few years of experience on several fora show, that users who find the solutions of their problems themselves (i.e. by reading documentation) learn a lot more quickly while “spoon feeding” (like it seems to be considered “polite” here) will have the opposite effect by users not willing or at least accepting, that they have to learn and how to do that (i.e. get information by reading documentation).

But hey, better be nice and keep people lazy and thereby “ignorant” than maybe sometimes be a little more direct and make people think for themselves.

Well, at least that seems to have changed partially.

All child processes of apache run as user “nobody” but:

grep -E 'nobody|wwrun' /etc/passwd
nobody:x:65534:65533:nobody:/var/lib/nobody:/bin/bash
wwwrun:x:30:8:WWW daemon apache:/var/lib/wwwrun:/bin/false

still way less secure than with distribution packages.

You asked how to access the file with file roller. Do you mean that you want to install a software package? If that’s a “yes” can you post here the name of the file? And maybe a link to the page where you downloaded it, so we can see what you’re trying to install.

[FYI: Earlier you had a lost file: If a file is lost you can install the application “findutils-locate” and then run the application as root (su first) like this generate a database of locations for all files

updatedb

then find the file by running this command:

locate xyzabc

where xyzabc is the filename or a fragment of it.]