Thread: Any changes from 11.1==>11.2 affecting SANE support via USB?

Question Any changes from 11.1==>11.2 affecting SANE support via USB?

Hi Folks.

I've been running 64-bit openSUSE 11.2 since shortly after it's release, on a quad core AMD Phenom based machine, using KDE as the Desktop.

I'm experiencing an odd problem.

I have a USB-attached "multi-function" printer/scanner/etc., which worked fine with XSane under 11.1. On the same machine, with 11.2, I can still get a scan preview. But when I try a full scan, shortly after it starts, the progress bar stops, then XSane complains about an I/O error.

When I update openSUSE versions, if I can, I keep the old version completely intact, on the same machine. This includes the /home partition, I don't overwrite it. Sure it's a good deal more work to copy over the numerous files needed, but if there are any problems with the new software, it's extremely helpful to have a completely intact old environment for reference. I was able to do this, while updating 11.1 ==> 11.2. Booting the old 11.1 system on the same machine, I haven't encountered any scanning problems.

I haven't given a lot of details, because it's the same hardware, that should "in theory", mostly eliminate the hardware as a possible source of the problem. I'm hoping the problem can be resolved by focusing on any changes in SANE support, or XSANE itself, for USB attached scanners.

It could be unrelated, but messages such as these are in /var/log/messages on the 11.2 sys:

Feb 3 17:45:03 toe-heaven kernel: [ 5881.313532] usb 3-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
    Feb 3 17:45:03 toe-heaven kernel: [ 5881.313560] usb 3-1: usbfs: process 8214 (xsane) did not claim interface 1 before use
    If XSane is doing things in the wrong order, I'm wondering if it would be a problem especially for a combined printer/scanner, or would the problem still occur if the printer and scanner were two physically separate devices?

I checked and there are similar messages in /var/log/messages with 11.1. But if it is an error in the sequence in which XSane does things, could it somehow cause problems under 11.2, yet not 11.1?

I tried to find anything which might be related to USB device handling, which perhaps could interact. I came across messages such as these in 11.2, but not 11.1:

Feb 4 15:15:10 toe-heaven udev-configure-printer: add /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0/usb/lp1
    Feb 4 15:15:10 toe-heaven udev-configure-printer: parent devpath is /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb3/3-1
    Is USB printer handling somehow different under 11.2? With a combined printer/scanner, could there be an interaction?

I did some experimenting. I kind'a thought a scan preview was just a scan at low res. So I tried to do full scans, starting with the lowest res., and increasing. I was able to do successful full scans at 100 or 150. But from 200 on up, the higher the res., the shorter the time to get an I/O error. I'd normally use 600 or above, to get what I feel is a good looking scan. At 600 the error report is practically immediate. It's almost as if the error only occurs above a certain threshold, of amount of data per unit time. I should mention, although it's a color scanner, I'm scanning a black and white doc., so using that mode of XSane.

I'm not familiar with the interface model for SANE, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

N E

Default Re: Any changes from 11.1==>11.2 affecting SANE support via

recently had a usb scanner to check out and it works fine on 11.2 amd or pentium. So it might be the driver for the combined device. Double check the driver(s) for the unit and see if there are a couple other to try in the list.
    Also would be a good idea to try the unit out on another machine and os just to make sure the printer/scanner is working.