Importing Email from Windows Mail

Hi all, first post here so sorry if I’ve missed it but I have been searching first and haven’t come across an acceptable answer.

I’ve played with various distros over the last couple of years but always given up due to video problems. I’ve just installed 11.2 and the video problems are no more so I want to try and stick with it but… unless I can get my emails across from Windows Mail I’ll have to give up.

Is there a client that will sensibly import my emails without too much fuss? I’ve got thousands of mails that I want to move across and they’re split into around 50 folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are instructions for Thunderbird on the Mozilla Knowledge Base:

Importing and exporting your mail - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

You didn’t say what you’re using in Windows, but I assume it’s Outlook Express? And that you’ll be using Thunderbird under OpenSuse?

Given that, I’d second chief_sealth’s recommendation, but with this twist:

1. Go into Windows and install Thunderbird THERE. Have TBird import all of your Windows contacts and mail.

2. Following Mozilla’s instructions, export the mail data to a USB drive or some other convenient place.

3. Install Thunderbird under OpenSuse (if you haven’t already – Yast → Software Management), and follow the instructions to import the mail data in OpenSuse.

I’ve done this and it works like a champ. If you have problems, just post back.

Thanks guys.

I’ve got Thunderbird running in Windows now with all my emails imported seemingly successfully and reasonably painlessly :slight_smile:

smpoole7 - The program in Vista is called “Windows Mail” - it’s the replacement for Outlook Express.

Well, that shows how much I use Windows now, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

Post back if you have trouble getting the mail into TBird under Linux. It should work fine, but you could run into some file permission issues. If so, just post here and someone will help you out (it’s relatively easy to fix).

Its too bad I am not all too familiar with Vistas directories or how and where windows mail sorts its mail to, I know how outlook in XP works but no idea on this.
Never worked too much on Vista except to replace it or dual boot it with linux