Thread: Skype For Asterisk - Kernel Bug

Default Skype For Asterisk - Kernel Bug

Hello,

I want to use asterisk as a PBX and SIP server using Skype. I have everything planned out but I am having a problem loading the "Skype for Asterisk" module provided by Digium. This module costs roughly $60 and Digium provides its customers with free support. After calling Diguim, the technician was unable to find the problem and said that I "should use a different Linux." I found this advice very hard to swallow as I have grown very fond of my openSUSE.

I searched the Digium forums and found that another user had the very same problem with Ubuntu. We compared notes in this forum thread:

http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.p...a74b49f227beaf

We were unable to figure out the problem until another member pointed to a Kernel bug in Ubuntu as the source of the problem. The Kernel where this bug exists is 2.6.31-11. Here is a link with some information on the bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/437258

My question is, how can I get this bug resolved in openSUSE?

I tried looking for kernel updates about a month ago but I could not find anything. I'm am very eager to start using this custom PBX and SIP server I'm building and getting it connected to the outside world so any help is greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Skype For Asterisk - Kernel Bug

11.2 will not change kernel versions during its lifetime for reasons of not breaking existing installations so you will not see it updated from .31 to .32. Looks like you will need to use a 2.6.32 kernel from factory. Do a search on software.opensuse.org for the bleeding edge kernel repo.

Default Re: Skype For Asterisk - Kernel Bug

If you don't want to take the trouble of downloading and configuring the new kernel, you may download and install AsteriskNow. Of course, it is not openSUSE but everything needed for Asterisk is in one installable ISO image.

AsteriskNow is CentOS but it has got all the tools for configuring and managing Asterisk. That way, you can leave it to some non-techy guys for making changes in the extensions.conf etc. Call reporting features are also very good (It uses MySQL behind the scenes for that).
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95