vmware server Cannot connect virtual machine console

Since a few weeks I cannot open a console in vmware server 2.0.2 anymore. I don’t know exactly when this started because I use vmware only occasionally (I have only 1 program (an old Ashlar DrawingBoard) which does not run properly in wine). VMware server and the console have been working before without problems, but now I get the message “Cannot connect virtual machine console.” and it times out. This is on Opensuse 11.1 with VMware Server on the same pc, Firefox and the guest is Windows2000.

I have tried to disable all extensions in firefox 3.6, disabled the firewall, even created a new user (on the same pc) with a clean firefox, all without any result. However when I connect from a different computer which runs Internet Explorer under windowsXP, then I can get the console without problem.

So, somewhere there is something wrong between Firefox and VMware server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if it were me I’d try to get VMware Server 1
working. 2x is far too bloated for your purpose.
However, version 1 is getting problematic to install
on the latest kernels so you may also want to investigate
using Virtualbox. I haven’t used it, but I hear good things.
Frankly 2.x rarely works properly for me, the problem you
describe sometimes crops up when CPU utilization is too high
or disk swappage is occuring.

Thanks, I am installing VirtualBox and will let you know how it ends. So far, no problems. Besides, VirtualBox is about 40Mb, while vmware’s rpm file is more than 500Mb.

Charles

VirtualBox installed, configured and OK; vmware removed. Says it all!

Charles

> VirtualBox installed, configured and OK; vmware removed. Says it all!

Glad it worked out for you.