libs not found system broken!

Hi
i installed cairo-dock, played a little with plasma settings and now many shared libs are not found anymore. I can’t even start x etc.
What the heck…so what to do?
Never had such…
Thanks Michael

Did you try rebooting your system and selecting Failsafe?

Cheers!

Roman

Michael,

We need more information about your system. PC or laptop? Which graphics card are you using?

Are you using 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2? Is the desktop environment " GNOME " or " KDE4 " ?

Did you install Cairo and AWN on KDE? How did it lead up to the crash?

What happened after you rebooted your computer?

11.2 with xfze, kde and gnome

i had cairo-dock via yast installed and added some icons in kde4. Starting a program didn’t work missing lib. So went to /usr/lib but couldn’t get back to x. Rebooting gave some missing lib messages so I did: ldconfig. Now less messages but still only black screen for x.

Thanks really weird indeed!
Reminds me NT4 bluescreens…
Looks like ldconfig is completely broken…Cairo-dock was the cause?

Insert your DVD and run System Rescue.

You might have corrupt Data block. A file system check should fix this.

Have you run an upgrade of any sorts?

Romanator

thanks the cd fixed around a dozen of broken packages but still some missing libs at startup like: libnss3 or so. kde gives only a black screen but i can start xfce. but then trying to launch firefox for ex. brings: XPCOM not found!
I didn’t find any option to rebuild the libs. How can I do that?

Yes probably this is because of some sick update. >:( already the second time. If I manage to fix the system I’ll delete the updater. How disgusting to install some untested bullshit…complete breakdown for the second time…>:)

You could boot to level 3 like this and use yast to install and delete packages if you know where it all went wrong
Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More… - openSUSE Forums

no it’s just completely broken…>:(

the cd reinstalled already a dozen programs! still missing libs all over the place.

Did you actually try booting to level 3?

yes no problem only some missing libs messages

If you run zypper dup from there what happens, with just the default repos enabled?

Did you try starting yast?

This is definitely not the case: ldconfig broken.

I suspect that some deps have been ignored before. Do zypper dup or reinstall. And review your repos.

zypper dup returns a msg alike: cannot open libelf.so.1

This is the saddest thing using suse since 1998. I’ll completely reinstall or maybe even switch to Ubunutu. :frowning:

Reinstall is the best option. Did you mix 32bit and 64bit libs and packages? That would explain libelf errors IIRC…

so I’m back on this f* of course the kernel source didn’t match for nvdia…anyway managed to get to icewm…but again now kde is broken…also installed cairo-dock…anyone having troubels with ciaro-dock?? black screen for kde…
next download is ubuuntu…

mik334 wrote:
> next download is ubuuntu…

is that threat or a plea for more help? if the latter it certainly is
strangely worded…

i ask, because you post in a thread you have never posted in
before…or, does your system now how trouble finding libraries and
you changed your name?

anyway, if ubuntu is best for you, then do it…

palladium