Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help with character encoding in Firefox & Thunderbird

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    867

    Default Help with character encoding in Firefox & Thunderbird

    I'm having trouble getting certain European characters to display correctly with my set up. I've tried various combinations but cannot get it to work reliably.

    In oS11.2 I have British English set with utf-8
    Code:
    RC_LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
    In Firefox I have Preferred language set as English/United Kingdom as first choice then English (en) as second choice.

    I have also set fonts in Firefox as shown below

    I also tried Western (8859-1) instead of utf-8 but it makes no difference.

    Now for an example going to this page I get a whole bunch of funny characters as seen below.


    In Thunderbird I have the following font settings


    What do I need to do to be able display these characters correctly?
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Help with character encoding in Firefox & Thunderbird

    It's not your fault and there's nothing you can do about this except tell the owner of the page about the error. The € combination is commonly seen and is the result of a UTF-8 character that is wrongly rendered in a ISO8859 page without appropriate transcoding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •