Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3.0

Default Gnome 3.0

Will open suse have Gnome 3.0 preview soon? I've seen a few previews on Mandriva,looks incredible.

Default Re: Gnome 3.0

openSUSE 11.2 already features an early preview of GNOME 3.0 i mean you can install gnome-shell and zeitgeist to get an idea how GNOME 3.0 will be.

Just do sudo zypper in gnome-shell gnome-zeitgeist
    run it by, gnome-shell --replace

More updated packages are available on GNOME:Factory repository.

Quote Originally Posted by lmedinas View Post
    openSUSE 11.2 already features an early preview of GNOME 3.0 i mean you can install gnome-shell and zeitgeist to get an idea how GNOME 3.0 will be.

Just do sudo zypper in gnome-shell gnome-zeitgeist
    run it by, gnome-shell --replace

More updated packages are available on GNOME:Factory repository.
    By the lack of activity here, either nobody is trying this out, are happy with it. I don't know if it is available in 11.3.

I recently installed it and have been experimenting.

My first thoughts are WOW what a major change.

I keep going to where I had the panel on the bottom to change between open apps, then sometimes I'm moving the mouse and hit the upper left corner by mistake. I see no way to have named Workspaces as I do on 2.28, but it appears you can create an unlimited number of them in Gnome 3.

Since Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user's activities and events (files opened, websites visits, conversations held with other people, etc.) and makes relevant information available to other applications. I'll pass on installing it.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

I do not know about zeigeist, but I did get the gnome-shell. Actually, I rather love it. I think it is awesome. Clearly it is unfiinished...but so far so good.

I had not thought about hitting the gnome factory repository. I am still very new on linux and suse, and unsure that I want to do that. Experts here seem to warn about creating an unstable system by doing factory 'anything'.....especially if new. Maybe I will back everything up and give it a whirl.
    Laptop: openSUSE 13.1 | Gnome 3.2.1 | i3 350m 2.27 GHz | HP Pavilion dv6 | 4GB RAM | Intel HD Integrated Graphics

Installed openSUSE, never going back!

i can say i tried zeitgeist. and it works for me. however i notice for myself i never use it though.
    i tried gnome-shell in the past but mutter seems a lot slower than compiz, so i did a fallback to compiz.

Quote Originally Posted by l1zard View Post
    i can say i tried zeitgeist. and it works for me. however i notice for myself i never use it though.
    i tried gnome-shell in the past but mutter seems a lot slower than compiz, so i did a fallback to compiz.
    Did a fallback to compiz on Gnome?

I don't want any effects, but it doesn't look like I have a choice with gnome-shell if I want to use it. Still experimenting and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by newtosuse View Post
    I do not know about zeigeist, but I did get the gnome-shell. Actually, I rather love it. I think it is awesome. Clearly it is unfiinished...but so far so good.

I had not thought about hitting the gnome factory repository. I am still very new on linux and suse, and unsure that I want to do that. Experts here seem to warn about creating an unstable system by doing factory 'anything'.....especially if new. Maybe I will back everything up and give it a whirl.
    Awesome may be too strong of a word. It is interesting, challenging and frustrating at times.

Maybe I'll add the gnome factory repo and see what is there.

I've been using Linux exclusively for 10 years now, and know just enough to get myself in trouble. Backups? What are those?

Blog Entries

So the Gnome Preview is very different than Gnome-Shell?

I tried Gnome-shell before and liked it, except for the resource requirements for the desktop effects. I'd rather it be snappier for my older laptop with a smaller screen (12", which was why I looked at it in the first place).
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    So the Gnome Preview is very different than Gnome-Shell?

I tried Gnome-shell before and liked it, except for the resource requirements for the desktop effects. I'd rather it be snappier for my older laptop with a smaller screen (12", which was why I looked at it in the first place).
    gnome-shell is gnome 3 preview. It showed up after I installed gnome-shell.

GnomeShell - GNOME Live!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast