Thread: How can I use fax in openSUSE

Default How can I use fax in openSUSE

Hi,
    I need an advise on how to use fax in openSUSE.What is the best working tool that I can use? Maybe someone can teach me the steps on how to make it work. Thanks in advance for your kind help.
    joerione

Default Re: How can I use fax in openSUSE

Just a quick response - to get started you'll need to think about getting:
    a modem (or use an online fax like efax), and
    a scanning device (to get your hard copy into the computer).

You set up the modem to call out (very dependent on how your phone lines are set up). You set up your scanner to scan stuff to pdf (other formats are fine, I find pdf handiest)(xsane is a good linux scanner program). Once you've gotten that far, you'll either have found a fax option in your modem control software, or you'll do a search for that.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

For fax software, try hylafax
    hylafax.org
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Hi,
    Thanks for your kind responses. That was quick replies.
    I would like to add to my questions some of the complications and hoping I will be able to get more advises from you guys.

This fax service that I am going to setup is for a friend who just recently tried openSUSE. This guy has two computers one pentium III with windows xp without a modem and a pentium IV with modem that has oenSUSE 11.2. There is an old scanner available a parallel scanner that is attached to the xp machine. I believe parallel scanner is not compatible with linux. Now, is it possible to just use the scanner from xp and save the scanned document and from the linux machine access it using the fax application to send to the recipient?

Lastly he doesn't want to trade the modem to the xp machine cause he said he is just starting to enjoy using openSUSE.

Many thanks for your kind response.

joerione

You can do that. You'll need some way to get the scanned file from the XP box to the Linux box. You can:
    set up a network and share space (to share from Linux look at samba, or set up a partition for xp that you can share, and access from the linux box)
    or use sneakernet (these days it's USB drives, not floppies, still works).

Again, I recommend pdf, even more strongly than before, it shares perfectly between OS's. Some modem/fax software's will have scanning function - and they'll want to use their proprietary format. Find a way in XP to scan into pdf.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

JosephKK NNTP User

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:46:01 GMT, spokesinger <spokesinger@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >You can do that. You'll need some way to get the scanned file from the
    >XP box to the Linux box. You can:
    >set up a network and share space (to share from Linux look at samba, or
    >set up a partition for xp that you can share, and access from the linux
    >box)
    >or use sneakernet (these days it's USB drives, not floppies, still
    >works).
    >
    >Again, I recommend pdf, even more strongly than before, it shares
    >perfectly between OS's. Some modem/fax software's will have scanning
    >function - and they'll want to use their proprietary format. Find a way
    >in XP to scan into pdf.

The last time i looked CCITT (Now ITU-T) group 4 fax standards are the
    only thing done for real hardware fax machines. It thus drove the market.
    Since then, higher resolution scanners and pdf in email is becoming the
    norm. Compatibility between old hardware faxes and newer multifunction
    office devices that can dial to a receiving fax machine will still support
    group 4 standards.

It's a long weekend here in Toronto and I had the time to help my friend last Friday regarding his modem. We tried openSuSE to detect the modem but unfortunately it failed. According to him the modem came with the pc when he bought it. Seems it is a win modem. To shorten the story I suggested to him if he is willing to buy a multifunction printer similar to what I have at home that works in openSuSE and agreed. Saturday he bought the printer ($149.00 Canadian) it is a brother MFC-5890CN
    We setup the printer downloaded the appropriate drivers from the brother download site and installed using yast and now is working properly. The good thing is he may not worry about the fax because he can directly use the built-in fax functionality.

Thanks again to the contributors of this thread.