Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

  1. #1

    Default Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Hello!

    This is my first SuSE install in about 4 years and a lot has changed. I really love how far this OS has come. I cut my teeth in Linux on RedHat and SuSE 5.x versions in the late 90's and its always been one of my favorite distributions.

    After a few years of running ubuntu, I am trying to re-familiarize myself with non-debian based distributions. So far, I really only have two things I'm struggling with"

    1) Using zypper at the cli, what is the package I need to install to have a "press tab to complete, or tab twice for all results based on what I've typed" function for repository indexes? Sometimes I don't always know the full package name I need and this was a very handy feature in aptitude to help me identify the right packages.

    2) what would be the OpenSuSE equivalent of the medibuntu repositories (where I can get w32 or w64 codecs, libdvdcss2 and all those goodies (insert obligatory 'I understand the issues around this software')

    Thanks in advance for your help with these two items. I look forward to hopefully becoming an active part of OpenSuSE's community as I re-familiarize myself with it.

    Cheers.
    -T.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Hello!

    This is my first SuSE install in about 4 years and a lot has changed. I really love how far this OS has come. I cut my teeth in Linux on RedHat and SuSE 5.x versions in the late 90's and its always been one of my favorite distributions.

    After a few years of running ubuntu, I am trying to re-familiarize myself with non-debian based distributions. So far, I really only have two things I'm struggling with"

    1) Using zypper at the cli, what is the package I need to install to have a "press tab to complete, or tab twice for all results based on what I've typed" function for repository indexes? Sometimes I don't always know the full package name I need and this was a very handy feature in aptitude to help me identify the right packages.
    Try searching bash. I'm not sure what the exact name is, but I think it's connected to bash.

    Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    2) what would be the OpenSuSE equivalent of the medibuntu repositories (where I can get w32 or w64 codecs, libdvdcss2 and all those goodies (insert obligatory 'I understand the issues around this software')

    Thanks in advance for your help with these two items. I look forward to hopefully becoming an active part of OpenSuSE's community as I re-familiarize myself with it.

    Cheers.
    -T.
    The packman repository. Open up YaST, go to Software>Software Repositories>Add>Community Repositories, and check packman.

    And welcome back.
    Just one thing. Have a lot of fun!!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Hi Jonathan_R

    Thanks for the assistance with the community repo. That fixed me right up. I'm still struggling a bit with the bash-completion. I did a zypper search for bash and installed the only thing that really looked like it fit by description, but no dice.

    I read a couple of blogs via googling that had a zypper.sh file linked, but I diff'ed them against the one that Opensuse 11.2 installs and they are identical.

    So I've gotten tab to complete working for command switches (e.g. install, search etc etc.) but anything following the context switch cannot tab to complete. E.G. if I were going to type amar, then hit tab to complete amarok.

    If you happen to remember what this package is, or if you have any other advice, I'd really appreciate it. I do between 50 and 75% of my OS navigation at the CLI typically and this would be huge to have!

    Thanks again!

    -T.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,037
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Filename completion should be on by default. Was this just a question or is it not working on your system?

    Search the forum for 'zypper cheat' and you will find some links to so called zypper cheat sheets. They give a pretty good overview of zypper's possibilities and usage.

    Welcome back and re-enjoy !!

    Edit: just did a 'man bash' and hit the '/' and searched for "completion". Quite a lot there. Filename completion is on by default. Maybe try in a new user account, or see what 'su -' does.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Thanks for the tips on the cheat sheets. Those will come in very handy!

    I've just given them a look over but I think however, the exact functionality I'm looking for zypper just doesn't have.

    Just to clarify because I think I may not have explained myself well, bash tab-to-completion is working on my system for filesystem tasks. What I was looking for was tab to completion for zypper index searches (e.g. having the tab button essentially do a zypper se switch on whatever I've given the command line up to that point.) It would require some logic on zyppers behalf to parse out and query the repository package indexes for the partial package name I've supplied once I hit tab. I know Redhats Yum package manager cannot do this either so it may be something exclusive to aptitude.

    Its not a show stopper by any means, just definitely something that the debian/aptitude package management system has spoiled me on over the years now that I'll have to adjust to I think.

    If zypper should have tab-to-complete index searches, then its definitely not working on a newly installed and fully patched 11.2 system. I'll continue to tinker around with it to see if I find it.

    Thanks again for everyones help!

    -T.

  6. #6
    palladium NNTP User

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    toupeiro wrote:
    > So I've gotten tab to complete working for command switches (e.g.
    > install, search etc etc.) but anything following the context switch
    > cannot tab to complete. E.G. if I were going to type amar, then hit tab
    > to complete amarok.



    if there is a tab-completion for package names inside the enabled
    repos (like default bash has for local commands) i'm not aware of it..

    but it sure sounds cool! are you saying apt has that? then we should
    too (maybe we do, and no one here knows about it)..

    sounds like it is something to ask for in openFATE
    <https://features.opensuse.org/>

    --
    palladium

  7. #7

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Yep, apt definitely has that.

    sudo apt-get install amar<tab> amarok
    Code:
     toupeiro@mobius:~$ sudo apt-get install amarok <tabtab>
    amarok                amarok14-engine-xine  amarok-engine-yauap
    amarok14              amarok-common         amarok-kde4
    amarok14-common       amarok-dbg            amarok-kde4-dbg
    amarok14-engines      amarok-engine-xine    amarok-utils
    toupeiro@mobius:~$ sudo apt-get install amarok
    all the results are everything I can possibly install available to me in my enabled repos on an ubuntu system of mine. so to recap: <tab> once completes the line the same way bash would in a filesystem setting. <tab> twice shows me everything that could match what I've typed so far.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Thanks for the tips on the cheat sheets. Those will come in very handy!

    I've just given them a look over but I think however, the exact functionality I'm looking for zypper just doesn't have.

    Just to clarify because I think I may not have explained myself well, bash tab-to-completion is working on my system for filesystem tasks. What I was looking for was tab to completion for zypper index searches (e.g. having the tab button essentially do a zypper se switch on whatever I've given the command line up to that point.) It would require some logic on zyppers behalf to parse out and query the repository package indexes for the partial package name I've supplied once I hit tab. I know Redhats Yum package manager cannot do this either so it may be something exclusive to aptitude.

    Its not a show stopper by any means, just definitely something that the debian/aptitude package management system has spoiled me on over the years now that I'll have to adjust to I think.

    If zypper should have tab-to-complete index searches, then its definitely not working on a newly installed and fully patched 11.2 system. I'll continue to tinker around with it to see if I find it.

    Thanks again for everyones help!

    -T.
    Hit the tab twice. like this.
    Code:
    amar
    and hit tab twice will complete it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Yes, I know bash is working wonderfully on its own. The problem is when amar preceded by the zypper command to do installations. Tab-to-complete at a standard bash prompt is working fine. In other words, if I already have amarok installed, I can do what you are asking me to. If I do not have amarok installed, I cannot, and if I want to use zypper to install it, and maybe a few addons, I cannot use double-tab to add them to the zypper command string.

    If it can do it, maybe its by way of some other addon to zypper.

    do this:

    sudo zypper in amar
    and hit tab twice, and let me know what happens.

    here's what I get after I hit tab twice on a zypper install line with amar:

    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'amar' not found.
    Resolving package dependencies...

    Nothing to do.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Stepping back into OpenSuSE

    Tested it on a Ubuntu 8 LTS server and tab to autocomplete didn't work here neither with apt-get nor with aptitude, so maybe it's a feature in newer versions.

    In zypper I usually work around it like this:

    sudo zypper search ama

    Than I look in the list and enter the correct package name by hand. It works but an autocomplete function would be convenient indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •