Thread: Mumble/Murmer Installation Tips

Default Mumble/Murmer Installation Tips

Hi All,

After having a look at the openSUSE forums, and not finding a single post relating to mumble/murmur installation, I decided to document my experience running this software, for the benefit of others.

I installed mumble-server on an openSUSE 11.1 machine using a stable package from the build service, which installed without incident. However, starting the service gave the error message "start_proc Cannot open dir: permission denied". Since it didn't say what dir it was trying to open, troubleshooting was a little difficult.

I deleted the muble-server user and group, and then reinstalled mumble-server using the unstable version from the build service; I still got the same error. I tried again a few moments later, and the error mysteriously vanished. The service now runs fine, every time.

On the client side, I installed the unstable version of mumble onto an 11.2 machine running GNOME. It ran just fine, but unfortunately all audio for the program was completely garbled and useless. To make matters worse, the audio system pegged 3/4 CPU cores and froze up the application intermittently.

After some investigation, the offending program was... (drumroll please)... Pulseaudio, the fruit of mankind's madness. I disabled pulseaudio by commenting out every line in /etc/asound-pulse.conf, logged out/in and everything works perfectly. As an added bonus, my sound quality issues in WINE and other programs have disappeared. Keep in mind that editing the asound-pulse.conf file in this way will disable audio in GNOME apps such as Banshee; you will need to use other apps or find workarounds.

There you have it, I hope somebody finds this useful. If you have other tips or experiences to share, feel free to reply.

palladium NNTP User

Default Re: Mumble/Murmer Installation Tips

johnny-5 wrote:
    > After having a look at the openSUSE forums, and not finding a single
    > post relating to mumble/murmur installation, I decided to document my
    > experience running this software, for the benefit of others.

thank you for sharing....i too hope it is beneficial to many..

> If you have other tips or experiences to share, feel free to reply.

believe me, i think your post is very useful (to those who want to
    'mumble')....but, let me try to increase your GoogleFu, this search
    string

Code:
    site:forums.opensuse.org mumble
    produces 53 hits (one is your posting), and

Code:
    site:forums.opensuse.org mumble OR mumer OR murmur
    gives 14 hits (one is your posting)

so, you now you can have a look, and see what others have related
    herein..

--
    palladium

Default Re: Mumble/Murmer Installation Tips

Thanks for the tip; glad to see other people are, in fact, using this software.