Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE4 = Vista

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE4 = Vista

Nope, he did not see that. As he did not see that KDE4 does have this and Vista does not.

@hcvv: Henk, I'm much like you. If I find pants I like, I take them to the shopkeeper, ask for them in my size. When OK, I'll have three. Exactly for the reason your friend mentions. So in my cupboard there's a spare motherboard, 4GB of RAM that fits in it, I wear a leather coat ( same one for over 10 years ), quite a "duurzaam" life. I'm old enough to know that change is not equal to improvement. But I've always felt that new things should be met with an open mind.
    About yakuake: it has become a part of my computing life in such a way, that I hit F12 in XP to open the DOS box ...
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 20:16 +0000, hcvv wrote:
    > Can still not understand that they broke even Konsole.
    >
    >

There is "some" good news on that though. Like the stupidity
    of how sizing is done (only remember last size, doesn't allow
    you to set size). While at first the konsole developers
    pushed back, they are beginning to see the light... I believe
    konsole4 will get back some of it's KDE3 goodness.

BUT, it is sort of irritating that you have to petition and
    justify why certain KDE3 features need to put back in....
    sigh...
    Like automounting, this device manager is an intrusive 'one size fits none' which causes more problems than it fixes. And don't even get me started on Knetworkmanager.
    It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfer99 View Post
    Like automounting, this device manager is an intrusive 'one size fits none' which causes more problems than it fixes. And don't even get me started on Knetworkmanager.
    One thing I am happy with, I do not need any networkmanager!!!!!!!!
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    One thing I am happy with, I do not need any networkmanager!!!!!!!!
    Yeap, I do. And it never works, not even in the famous 3.5. I have to say that I did not change to 11.2 because I was already warned by 11.1. The last system that really was perfect was 11.0. Ran well on my notebook. Who needs more?

I will sit it out. Wait up to December to see what has happened in the meanwhile. I would take the guess that with 4.5 or .6 it will be much more.....like 3.5.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Nope, he did not see that. As he did not see that KDE4 does have this and Vista does not.

@hcvv: Henk, I'm much like you. If I find pants I like, I take them to the shopkeeper, ask for them in my size. When OK, I'll have three. Exactly for the reason your friend mentions. So in my cupboard there's a spare motherboard, 4GB of RAM that fits in it, I wear a leather coat ( same one for over 10 years ), quite a "duurzaam" life. I'm old enough to know that change is not equal to improvement. But I've always felt that new things should be met with an open mind.
    About yakuake: it has become a part of my computing life in such a way, that I hit F12 in XP to open the DOS box ...
    First off, I did not "see" the advanced option. At lest I don't think so.
    Second, Vista does have advanced install but you won't see it using autorun install (non the less Vista is ****)
    Third, Why are you comparing a desktop / session manager too a complete OS.
    Fourth, and this applies to other responses as well, I said I was refreshed by the yast utility asking me about how to handle my network. In fact I was impressed.
    Fifth, If I was not open minded about new ideas why would I be updating my machines, they have worked for years. At least since red hat five.
    Sixth, I don't understand what you are getting at with the story about paints and motherboards. It seems that you are saying that I am stagnant and afraid of change or too lay to change. I may be too lazy, but if I were stagnant or afraid I would not be upgrading. Plus I get all my pants from my local used clothing store. It's great you go buy 10 pair of pants in your size for 20 bucks. Go home, try them on, and the one's that you don't like you donate back to the store.

Also these responses are of the "If the shoe fits where it" kind. I get confused as to who said what.

Jeremy

Blog Entries

Ahh, don't worry, just wait for KDE-7 and be happy.

You're halfway there with KDE-3.5 anyway.

Happy is good

Jeremy

But I do not want a new desktop! I am satisfied with what I have and want to carry on with my 'work' The computer is a tool, not an end.
    You don't want new desktop? How about we stop development and all use Win95 till eternity? Will this do it for you? Heck, go back to DOS.... Who needs these GUIs anyways?

I do not know about Win98, I suppose the 98 means it was 'invented' in 1998. But we run an MS-DOS system until about 5 years ago (when I converted tha last applics to openSUSE) and my wife stilll regrets the loss of Word Perfect.

I a post above I mentioned CDE (Common Desktop Environment) with X11 and the OSF/Motif window manager. The documentation I still have is Edition 6 from August 1992. But Edition 2 was fom December 1988. Who talks about Win98? The whole DE is about 10 years older! (and better)
    And as a ceterum censeo I add: it had an xterm whith options to let it start with n columns and m lines!
    Henk van Velden

I do not know about Win98, I suppose the 98 means it was 'invented' in 1998. But we run an MS-DOS system until about 5 years ago (when I converted tha last applics to openSUSE) and my wife stilll regrets the loss of Word Perfect.

I a post above I mentioned CDE (Common Desktop Environment) with X11 and the OSF/Motif window manager. The documentation I still have is Edition 6 from August 1992. But Edition 2 was fom December 1988. Who talks about Win98? The whole DE is about 10 years older! (and better)
    And as a ceterum censeo I add: it had an xterm whith options to let it start with n columns and m lines!
    You missed the point of my sentence where I tried to show, in simple words, that development/progress is inherently incompatible with a "frozen system" where everything stays the same all the time ad infinitum. If you allow change/turbulence (or in our case progress & development) in a closed static system that previously to this allowance never ever changed, that system will inevitably change at some point, even more so if this development/progress never ends

And I wrote Win95, not Win98

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast