Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE4 = Vista

Thumbs down KDE4 = Vista

Is there any way to remove all that useless "Vista" from KDE4 and return it to the classic KDE (without all the Widgets, Gadgets, Plasmoids, Plugins and stuff)?
    Last edited by caf4926; 18-Jan-2010 at 12:29. Reason: moved to more suitable part of the forum

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE4 = Vista

You can actually make kde4 look very like kde3
    But kde4 will never be kde3

Eventually folk will give up rubbishing kde4 when they explore it's possibilities. AFAIC there is no looking back, as good as kde3 was, it's history, for me anyway.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You can actually make kde4 look very like kde3
    But kde4 will never be kde3

Eventually folk will give up rubbishing kde4 when they explore it's possibilities. AFAIC there is no looking back, as good as kde3 was, it's history, for me anyway.
    I do not know if it is "Vista" (never used it), but I still feel if they refurbished my house without even telling me where the cupboard is.

I am reluctantly evaluating it further, but I find myself looking for other tasks to take priority over it. . But I have to, 10.3 is over.

I am loosing the joy of using the system.

Can still not understand that they broke even Konsole.
    Henk van Velden

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 20:16 +0000, hcvv wrote:
    > Can still not understand that they broke even Konsole.
    >
    >

There is "some" good news on that though. Like the stupidity
    of how sizing is done (only remember last size, doesn't allow
    you to set size). While at first the konsole developers
    pushed back, they are beginning to see the light... I believe
    konsole4 will get back some of it's KDE3 goodness.

BUT, it is sort of irritating that you have to petition and
    justify why certain KDE3 features need to put back in....
    sigh...

Or you do not petition, but loose all trust in the product and revert to good old xterm. Just a simple functioning work horse. And when your customers/users have lost their trust in you it is very difficult to get it back.

I am loosing a lot of time I could have used e.g. in helping people here at the Forums with this poking around. But I am not joking, there are people who are not running Linux with all add ons just to spend some spare time
    or as a hobby horse (again a new distro/level/factory ), but to use it as a stable tool for production. Until now I did not see any improvement in my production by using KDE 4 vs. KDE 3. I think I could even argue that using CDE with Motif did most of what I needed and need now for much less CPU cycles.

Do not take me wrong however, I think openSUSE 11.2 is an improvement (well the kernel was broken for me, but that is solved in a new version) except for KDE.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

The day I decided not to compare KDE4 to KDE, but to regard it as a total new desktop, I started finding features I never saw in KDE, started doing things in a new way. These days I miss things in KDE3, or have to think real hard where to find them.

Any of the 'konsole-disappointed' ever tried yakuake? I'm a 'terminal guy' and I use it.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The day I decided not to compare KDE4 to KDE, but to regard it as a total new desktop, I started finding features I never saw in KDE, started doing things in a new way. These days I miss things in KDE3, or have to think real hard where to find them.

Any of the 'konsole-disappointed' ever tried yakuake? I'm a 'terminal guy' and I use it.
    But I do not want a new desktop! I am satisfied with what I have and want to carry on with my 'work' The computer is a tool, not an end.

I am one of those silly guys that runs a car for 17 years because it functions, I can get two bikes inside and I have problems getting the bikes in any new one!

I am never buying something new when the old one still functions. And a friend of mine says: 'Whenever you bought something that you like (running shoes, backpack, socks, ...., go back to the shop and buy more, because when you wait until it is detoriated beyond use, the original model will not be there anymore". And right he is.

Maybe I will try that yakuake, thanks. But when I go for xterm, I know what I have.
    Henk van Velden

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 21:06 +0000, hcvv wrote:
    > Or you do not petition, but loose all trust in the product and revert to
    > good old xterm. Just a simple functioning work horse. And when your
    > customers/users have lost their trust in you it is very difficult to get
    > it back.

Yes... I have some friends that went to a different terminal app...
    but, all the same, it's nice to see a uniform coherent platform (when
    possible). I know it used to be that KDE3 folks could easily
    sway people away from Gnome because of gnome terminal... but now,
    it's gotten more difficult since the new konsole has failed us a bit.

....snip...

>
    > Do not take me wrong however, I think openSUSE 11.2 is an improvement
    > (well the kernel was broken for me, but that is solved in a new version)
    > except for KDE.

I would say KDE4 will get better as it "matures", but I don't want
    to get flamed again. :-)

There may be a few more things that make modern Linux distros more like Vista and MS windows in general. The problem that I have always had (among many others) is the fact the MS Windows makes most every decision for the user. Modern distro installs do the same type of thing. Mostly it happens in configuration, some distros break away from standard tools. I like a nice GUI for configuration but when I open a term and find that ifup and ifdown are not the standard it does not make sense. I have several audio back ends to choose from but the distro seems to pick one for me instead of asking, and that includes what/which driver to use.I wish that there were two different installs, one for laymen (not an insult as I understand the need for a simple install that works,) and one for people who want to dig deeper and customize their system the way they want. I can customize my system but would like to be asked if I am experienced with Linux at the beginning of install and not have to dig through RPMs later, the dependencies are ridiculous. It is spreading. I just looked up slackware and found that it now uses packages. Yuck.
    All this said, I was refreshed that Yast asks me what I would like to control my network with.

Also, Linux beats the heck out of Vista. My last job had me as an international help desk agent. We were forced to use Vista. Most everyone revolted to the point that we were told, "Use Vista or find another job!" Funny that My coworkers and I got too the point of loosing our jobs because Vista is so bad. At the same time I was being ask to do the updates on our network storage devices. They could not handle a term.

Well I'm out Have a nice rant.

Jeremy

There are plenty of chances to customize it during the installation (packages, partitions, etc.). Yast even gives you an opportunity to choose advanced setup configuration early in the process. Did you see this?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast