Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: KDE4 = Vista

Default Re: KDE4 = Vista

Quote Originally Posted by brucecadieux View Post
    A Model T Ford served the basic function needed from an automobile take passengers from point A to point B and back again and still would today for all intent purposes, yet we still seem to have moved forward, and designed heavier cars with useless gadgets built in, that look pretty.

Try and give the average person one and take away their pretty new car.
    We are not average people for the most part because we are "talking" on this post. Like I said if you want your desktop to be an end all be all, that is fine. In fact this is one of the great things about Linux. (F Redmond) All I am saying is that sometimes fancy and pretty is not what some people like. There are still utilitarians in this world. I don't think it would be a wise choice to cater to us utilitarians but you are going to far! Model T! My choice of speaking about FVWM is actually contemporary to 60's muscle cars and some great European sports cars. Model T's are contemporary to the PHP 5 interface.

Jeremy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jgaupel View Post
    you got me , would that be Tom's window manager?
    Tab window manager.

Thumbs up Re: KDE4 = Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The day I decided not to compare KDE4 to KDE, but to regard it as a total new desktop, I started finding features I never saw in KDE, started doing things in a new way. These days I miss things in KDE3, or have to think real hard where to find them.

Any of the 'konsole-disappointed' ever tried yakuake? I'm a 'terminal guy' and I use it.
    ....and we wish to publicly express our deep thankfulness and feeling of being indebted to Mr Knurpht for the Yakuake tip......
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Yeah, I know...

"Late for the party". But I still wanted to chime in on this as well.

"Take the Vista out of KDE"? Strange...As I always thought the way KDE4 looked came way before MS rendered the final designs of how Vista would look=\

But, I could be wrong. Its just that I seriously remember seeing KDE4 in beta use looking as nice n' clean as it does now before I seen MS pull away from XP'ish look the 1st implementations of Vista had. So, Im more inclined to say MS ripped KDE & the compiz/beryl guys(to a degree)^^

I staved off using 4 for a looong while. When I was still on PCLOS. But upon hearing thatthe next version of PCLOS was going up to 4. I figured it was probably time to move forward. To be honest despite a few changes here and there and having to relearn a few things. Its not half bad at all.

So far theres a TON of things Im loving about 4 over 3.5! Plus, I can recall the number of times 3.5 would crash kicker on me. Out of all the monkeying around I have been doing trying to get used to Suse. Its been very rock solid and easy on the eyes. Plus everything I loved using in KDE3.5 is here in 4! So to me, I think the change WAS for the better.

...so, thats my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    ....and we wish to publicly express our deep thankfulness and feeling of being indebted to Mr Knurpht for the Yakuake tip......
    Yakuake works flawlessly on my Gnome desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaupel View Post
    Second, Vista does have advanced install but you won't see it using autorun install (non the less Vista is ****)
    Have you used Vista lately?

And did you use KDE 4.0?

Lol.

The whole point of KDE was to ease transition from Windows to *NIX. Part of that entails looking similar to it, cause not everyone is a power user.

I would have expected this thread 10+ years ago, but it seems pretty rhetorical these days...

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not know about Win98, I suppose the 98 means it was 'invented' in 1998. But we run an MS-DOS system until about 5 years ago (when I converted tha last applics to openSUSE) and my wife stilll regrets the loss of Word Perfect.

I a post above I mentioned CDE (Common Desktop Environment) with X11 and the OSF/Motif window manager. The documentation I still have is Edition 6 from August 1992. But Edition 2 was fom December 1988. Who talks about Win98? The whole DE is about 10 years older! (and better)
    And as a ceterum censeo I add: it had an xterm whith options to let it start with n columns and m lines!
    Windows 1.0 was released in 1985...

If you think CDE is better than Windows 98 (much less Windows 3.0) from a Desktop Usability standpoint, then you haven't used CDE much - if at all. It's bad... HORRIBLE... There's a reason why Sun is getting rid of CDE in Solaris.

You can download Solaris 10 (not OpenSolaris) from Sun/Oracle and actually use CDE. Come back and update us on how great it was compared to mid-80s to early 90s OSes/Desktop Environments like Windows 3 and OS/2...

Quote Originally Posted by phyerboss View Post
    "Take the Vista out of KDE"? Strange...As I always thought the way KDE4 looked came way before MS rendered the final designs of how Vista would look=\

But, I could be wrong. Its just that I seriously remember seeing KDE4 in beta use looking as nice n' clean as it does now before I seen MS pull away from XP'ish look the 1st implementations of Vista had. So, Im more inclined to say MS ripped KDE & the compiz/beryl guys(to a degree)^^
    You're wrong, and that statement seems pretty ignorant, TBH.

Vista was released to Businesses in November 06, and GA was January 07.

KDE 4.0 was released in Jan 08.

Release Candidates are feature-frozen versions, and Vista RC1 was released August 06... Vista's full user interface was displayed in the first Release Candidate.

The first KDE 4 Beta was released in August 2007. Over half a year after Vista's release, and almost a full year after the first Vista Release Candidate.

Both KDE4 and Vista had pretty bad releases (Vista moreso because of Windows' marketshare - makes things a bit worse than they truly are to many). Both of them are fine now. I think it's important to differentiate 4 from 4.3 the same way I'd differentiate Vista RTM from Vista SP2.

OpenSUSE almost lost me. First they switched to that Beta Version of X.Org in IIRC 10.1 (or what it 10.2?), then the bad KDE4 they had in a later release.

11.2 is fine. KDE looking like Windows has been the story of KDE's life.

I don't think it's fair to compare Vista to KDE 4. Why?

a) Vista is an operating system and KDE 4 isn't.

b) Vista was promoted by a corporation which blindly pushed it onto the market despite the howling protests of many. KDE 4 is different because it's agressively and blindly pushed upon a market by fanatics, people who make trains run on time, and people who fall into the analogy of being sheep who want to be goats.
    Sheep 101: Sheep and Goats

c) Everyone will jump on the band wagon if you denounce Vista. You can have a party and toss a copy of Vista into a fire and everyone will cheer. If you denounce KDE 4 too loudly you might find yourself on trial in New Salem. The result will be the same.... something will be burned.

d) With Vista you were not suppose to have a choice to go back to XP. With KDE you're not suppose to have a choice either. Alas: the reality is you do! Don't say that too loudly.

I'm finding KDE 3.5 functional with OpenSuSE 11.2. It's not 11.0 with KDE 3.5 but it's going to have to do.

The ATI stuff works great with the new drivers with 11.2 and KDE 3.5; Crossfire works along with multiple monitor support. It's not so bad. One can say that there is life after 11.0 and beyond 11.1. You'll have to live with the bugs and quirks.

This KDE 4 vs KDE 3 isn't computer science, it's not engineering, this has all become religion and politics.
    " If you don't play a sport, be one! " Quote from: Max Jackson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloudLion_ca View Post
    This KDE 4 vs KDE 3 isn't computer science, it's not engineering, this has all become religion and politics.
    And, since religion and politics are based on personal sentiments and belief, any discussion would be ......
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456