Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing bitdefender

Default installing bitdefender

I'm running openSuse11.2 64bit on AMD64 platform and I'm trying to install a bitdefender.rpm.run file. However being fairly new I'm making a mess of it.

I've tried using the software installer but that's not working so I'm trying to do it through Konsole.

The file: file:///home/mark/Download/BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.rpm.run

Firstly I'm assuming I've downloaded the right file. i586 I assume is pentium so I went with amd64 and rpm instead of .ipk or .deb.

I've tried Yast software manager and I've tried running all the installation instructions from the PDF in Konsole but I'm having no success. My standard endpoint is no such file or directory.

I've had a look but I can't seem to find any help on installing this for Suse and I've been trying most of this afternoon to work out where I'm going wrong.

Before you ask by the way I'm installing this for the benefit of the windows systems I work with and as a backup for the partitioned one on this drive, though to be honest in 10 years I still haven't got a virus on my PC. I think I can owe that to not clicking on dodgy stuff and having always had a good security suite though.

Default Re: installing bitdefender

You might consider another anti-virus package.

clamav
    and
    antivir

are both in the Suse repositories. Much easier and safer then trying to install a package by hand when you don't know how.

go to
    Yast-Software-Software Management

search for virus

clam seems to be the most popular with Suse users that install an anti-virus.

Thanks, I might well do that.

The reason I went for it was it came joint top with Avast in the linux format magazine review and had a higher detection rate.

Of course if I can't get it to work I'll go for Clam but I thought this would be a good oppurtunity to learn how install a package in the first place.

If you want to try post the errors you get. Can't help too much if you just say "it won't install". There may be additional packages that are needed. If this is a "source" install you will likely need the gcc compiler and possibly the kernel-source packages.

Ok, I think I'd better go and do some more homework. I'll post any errors I get when I get round to installation.

Truth be told Antiuvirus is a waste of time in linux, firstly most virus clients scan for windows viruses and there is not a windows virus I am aware of that has any devastating effect on linux.
    Secondly even if there are a few viruses for linux they are easy enough to avoid, keep to the main repositories for your distro and avoid certain third party packages if possible.
    But most third party packages you may find are unlikely harmful, if you are extra unsure just dont download them.
    Seriously the only real worry I would have is if you share files via email or run a mailserver with windows users.
    But careful habits is the real way to avoid any security issues, the best way to keep clean is not to be stupid.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

Quote Originally Posted by mark_dsp View Post
    Problem solved, I drank too much coffee and skipped over the part between the legal guff, index and introduction where # meant type it in root.....

I'm not installing this for the benefit of liunx I'm well aware of how safe it is. It's just things like scanning USB sticks and the like that I'm going to insert into windows.
    gotcha, but like I said its mostly useless
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

ops meant to edit that post and ended up deleting it by accident.

I'm still having this error come up:

sh: /home/download/BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.rpm.run --check: No such file or directory

I'll keep trying for the moment if not I'm sure there's not much difference with Clamav

Woohoo fixed it. Only took two days.....

My first problem was I didn't know # was short for root.

After that I had a problem with not being able to open the file because I wasn't in the directory.

I wasn't quite sure what directory actually meant as it's used slightly differently in windows.

I found a website with a guide to navigating to the right folder (cd command) and I realised I would need to navigate up the folder chain with cd /home/user/etc/etc.

My one comment would be it's a little fiddly when you've got a 50 character filename with lots of -/. upper and lower case and numbers and there's no room for errors but I guess I'll just get used to that.

Is there a guide to file navigation through console in the beginners section as it could potentially be quite useful for this kind of operation? Especially so if it had the tag cannot find directory or file. I did check for such a section but I could only find a brief guide to directory.

I know for people who are seasoned in linux it's pretty mystifying as to why you would want an AV but everything I work with is on windows or very occasionally OSX and I just want to make sure I don't pick anything up and pass it on to them. In addition it gives me a way of externally fixing those sorts of problems in windows.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_dsp View Post
    Woohoo fixed it. Only took two days.....

My first problem was I didn't know # was short for root.

After that I had a problem with not being able to open the file because I wasn't in the directory.

I wasn't quite sure what directory actually meant as it's used slightly differently in windows.

I found a website with a guide to navigating to the right folder (cd command) and I realised I would need to navigate up the folder chain with cd /home/user/etc/etc.

My one comment would be it's a little fiddly when you've got a 50 character filename with lots of -/. upper and lower case and numbers and there's no room for errors but I guess I'll just get used to that.
    You need to learn how to use your mouse for copying long strings. Left click on one end of the string to copy and (while holding the button down) scroll to the end of the string. Release the left button and click the right button. This saves the string in a clipboard. Then, clicking on the middle button copies the string into a new location.
    Is there a guide to file navigation through console in the beginners section as it could potentially be quite useful for this kind of operation? Especially so if it had the tag cannot find directory or file. I did check for such a section but I could only find a brief guide to directory.

I know for people who are seasoned in linux it's pretty mystifying as to why you would want an AV but everything I work with is on windows or very occasionally OSX and I just want to make sure I don't pick anything up and pass it on to them. In addition it gives me a way of externally fixing those sorts of problems in windows.
    Actually, there are viruses that attack linux, just not as many as windoze. I use BitDefender in my dual boot laptop in both linux and windows.

One useful book to look at would be "SUSE Linux Toolbox" by Negus & Caen, available at Amazon for about $30. It has though descriptions and lots of examples. There's also lots of free info available on the web. Use a web search for "linux tutorials".

Hope this helps.
    Tom Taylor - retired penguin
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata3
    openSUSE 12.3x86_64 openSUSE 13.1-M2x86_64
    KDE 4.8.5, FF 14.0.1 - 8- KDE 4.10.0, FF 20.0
    registered linux user 263467

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast