Thread: Applications install?

Default Applications install?

Im new to openSUSE and linux in general- I've used Ubuntu before. My question? When I install a program through YaST in Ubuntu it would install in the applications folder, I could click on Wine or any other program I had just installed and the program would be installed and would run,- In openSUSE when I install a program, I can't find it in the applications folder nor anywhere but yet YaST says it is installed-I've tried many programs and it says its installed but I dont see it. Am I doing something wrong?
    I have openSUSE 64bit (new version of openSUSE) and GNOME desktop. Thanks.

Default Re: Applications install?

You cannot have installed any programs in Ubuntu with YaST; unless it is a command line program, it should be in the menu. If it isn't, open an terminal and issue the command to run it. If there is a problem, you will get the error messages. Otherwise it should start OK.
    Last edited by john_hudson; 16-Jan-2010 at 12:00. Reason: Additional clarification

Applications installed via Yast do find their way to the Gnome or KDE automatically. I noticed sometimes this takes a few seconds though. After a few minutes you should find the application in the correct place in the menu structure.

For wine yeh it has issues not creating menus in openSUSE, doesnt have links in the menu.
    Any other apps you tried to install without menu shortcuts?
    I can help with the wine menu bug, but I want to know what else you installed.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357