Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is there a dvd player on linux?

Default is there a dvd player on linux?

is it simple to use?

can i just open and play?

or do I need to go through a complicated installation like i did with flash player, which still doesn't work. Lol

oh well at least i can check my email

Default Re: is there a dvd player on linux?

You might want to look here

Restricted Formats/11.2 - openSUSE-Community

wow lol

no answers huh?

maybe this is the topic that was never answered............................

maybe no one anywhere knows how to use this thing.............

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    sorry, I didn't see this reply

I'll check that out, thanks

VLC and SMPlayer can do the job for you.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    sorry, I didn't see this reply

I'll check that out, thanks
    Yeh you got to instal libdvdcss for DVD playback, there is nothing much we can do about it as it is not 100% "legal" to use it or re-distribute.
    Some minor off the radar distros have it preinstalled though.
    To have it or not to have it preinstalled is up to those who make the distro, openSUSE is directly funded by novell so if it came with DVD playback by default Novell could see a lawsuit.
    However a non corporate funded linux like PClinux or Linux mint can give it away.

Stuff like VLC or smplayer only provide front ends but often dont install the codec for you. (this depends on the distro mind you)

And what was so hard with your flash install?
    We here on linux typically dont install apps "thew windows way" and use stuff like package managers to get the job done.
    There is no real .exe for linux but we have plenty of things to help the new user transition.
    Often times its just better to ask, linux is a learning curve as is windows without a point of reference.
    Windows only seems like second nature as most windows installs have all the multimedia playback and flash preinstalled to save the end user the time to install them on their own.
    So as a consequence when using a linux like openSUSE its a big shock to find most of your favorite media and stuff dont play right off the bat and you have to install extras.
    Not saying this is hard though, if you just ask we can make most of your transition as easy and painless as possible.
    Its why the forums are here, surely it can take us a bit to reply sometimes but we are all volunteers here.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

Quote Originally Posted by TaraIkeda View Post
    Stuff like VLC or smplayer only provide front ends but often dont install the codec for you. (this depends on the distro mind you)
    In openSUSE, there is packman repo (we all know that), by adding and enabling that repo will do the stuff for you.
    And by installing VLC and SMplayer from packman repo will install all the codecs with it. I always install these players and then there is no need to install any extra codecs. All formats work out of the box.

wow, no legal dvd player on linux? well that sucks considering the computer I have comes with a disk drive so it's like I paid for it already, just need the software

anyway I know exactly what you mean
    the thing though is that earlier last month, i made a long post about the flash player and i did everything everyone said, it turned into two pages, and it still didn't work

linux can be confusing in a way windows isn't. only because windows always tells you if your command didn't go through correctly, with linux it doesn't say if it did it just won't say anything

anyway I do really appreciate the system i understand it's free, and you get what you pay for. Just wish I could do some basic things etc. and don't get me wrong, windows is no guru os. I mean it's got problems, and to be honest the price you pay for the software isn't always worth the problems. Thanks to reading

Blog Entries

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast