is there a dvd player on linux?

is it simple to use?

can i just open and play?

or do I need to go through a complicated installation like i did with flash player, which still doesn’t work. Lol

oh well at least i can check my email

You might want to look here

Restricted Formats/11.2 - openSUSE-Community

wow lol

no answers huh?

maybe this is the topic that was never answered…:shame:

maybe no one anywhere knows how to use this thing…:sarcastic:

rotfl!

sorry, I didn’t see this reply

I’ll check that out, thanks

VLC and SMPlayer can do the job for you.

Yeh you got to instal libdvdcss for DVD playback, there is nothing much we can do about it as it is not 100% “legal” to use it or re-distribute.
Some minor off the radar distros have it preinstalled though.
To have it or not to have it preinstalled is up to those who make the distro, openSUSE is directly funded by novell so if it came with DVD playback by default Novell could see a lawsuit.
However a non corporate funded linux like PClinux or Linux mint can give it away.

Stuff like VLC or smplayer only provide front ends but often dont install the codec for you. (this depends on the distro mind you)

And what was so hard with your flash install?
We here on linux typically dont install apps “thew windows way” and use stuff like package managers to get the job done.
There is no real .exe for linux but we have plenty of things to help the new user transition.
Often times its just better to ask, linux is a learning curve as is windows without a point of reference.
Windows only seems like second nature as most windows installs have all the multimedia playback and flash preinstalled to save the end user the time to install them on their own.
So as a consequence when using a linux like openSUSE its a big shock to find most of your favorite media and stuff dont play right off the bat and you have to install extras.
Not saying this is hard though, if you just ask we can make most of your transition as easy and painless as possible.
Its why the forums are here, surely it can take us a bit to reply sometimes but we are all volunteers here.

In openSUSE, there is packman repo (we all know that), by adding and enabling that repo will do the stuff for you.
And by installing VLC and SMplayer from packman repo will install all the codecs with it. I always install these players and then there is no need to install any extra codecs. All formats work out of the box.

wow, no legal dvd player on linux? well that sucks considering the computer I have comes with a disk drive so it’s like I paid for it already, just need the software

anyway I know exactly what you mean
      the thing though is that earlier last month, i made a long post about the flash player and i did everything everyone said, it turned into two pages, and it still didn't work

linux can be confusing in a way windows isn't. only because windows always tells you if your command didn't go through correctly, with linux it doesn't say if it did it just won't say anything

anyway I do really appreciate the system i understand it's free, and you get what you pay for. Just wish I could do some basic things etc. and don't get me wrong, windows is no guru os. I mean it's got problems, and to be honest the price you pay for the software isn't always worth the problems. Thanks to reading

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/6398/2e62be63976254.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/2e62be63976254)

Actually if you bought the DVD drive then by every means you are mostly allowed to have playback.
Its the method to give you playback that is in question, libdvdcss in some nations is either “illegal” or semi legal, I know here in the US it is semi legal despite the US position on software patents.
You can download and install libdvdcss in the US but not redistribute it by default in your distro.
There are more “legal” ways to play DVD if you are obsessed with the modern concept of “legal” (and I use that term loosely) like buying the codec from fluendo:
Fluendo Shop

Personally I dont give a flying crud about “legalities” anymore I bought the computer so I should have the right to use every aspect of it, to heck with software patent BS.
It only serves greedy companies anyhow, like Microsoft.

anyway I know exactly what you mean the thing though is that earlier last month, i made a long post about the flash player and i did everything everyone said, it turned into two pages, and it still didn’t work
linux can be confusing in a way windows isn’t. only because windows always tells you if your command didn’t go through correctly, with linux it doesn’t say if it did it just won’t say anything

Are you on a 64bit install of openSUSE?

anyway I do really appreciate the system i understand it’s free, and you get what you pay for. Just wish I could do some basic things etc. and don’t get me wrong, windows is no guru os. I mean it’s got problems, and to be honest the price you pay for the software isn’t always worth the problems. Thanks to reading.

Well hey linux is not perfect, but for me I perfer it a million times over windows.
It just takes time, linux has a different mindset behind it, different ideas.
If you have issues though, just ask as we actually care in the linux community…
because you know Microsoft doesnt give a **** about anybody.

lol

well you certainly have an opinion about some things huh?

anyway

i appreciate the advise, no I don’t use a 64 bit installation

I guess what I meant was, well I don’t know anymore. I usually quit on this after awhile. Lol I just get so frusterated. I think by the time someone said ‘install codec’ that I just right there gave up LMAO

I feel bad because I know people take the time to respond, and to be honest I really wouldn’t mind watching dvds on this computer, but I thought it’d be one step

and to be honest, yes I did pay for the computer, so I payed for the cd reader along with it. So no, I don’t want to buy software. And I don’t care if the software is illegal to use, but that just makes compatability issues, because the illegal software always ends up not updating itself etc. if I could follow some steps, then I’ll try and install what I need to watch dvds, otherwise Lol I might just forget about the whole thing. But that link someone posted didn’t seem to answer my questions, it was quit a few steps about a process that I didn’t even understand to be the same thing as installing dvd playing software. Of course I’m not saying it wasn’t, I’m just saying by reading it it didn’t make sense.

none the less, thanks for all the help. I might be able to get a really nice job one day logging into a linux server as a server administrator or something if I learn how to use linux really well though, so everything helps. Thanks a lot

Well for those who need codecs and multimedia, there are other distros that are “easier”
Like ultimate edition, linux mint, PClinux and Mepis plus a few others I cant remember right now.
openSUSE is more or less hands on compared to those others I mentioned, actually its more hands on then say Ubuntu as Ubuntu has Ubuntu-restricted-extras in a area that is easy to get to.
openSUSE does lead a large trail of breadcrumbs in comparison, but once you get directions its on par.

What is hard/difficult in to add packman repo from YaST, and then install players with codecs with just a few CLICKS… I really don’t understand the philosophy of easy stuff. What sort of easy stuff you can imgine from here. Is it too difficult to use mouse for few clicks.

it is only a few clicks?

I must have gotten wrong instructions, the link I went to had like 50 steps. Do you know where I can look up these simple instructions?

Thanks

1-click-collection - openSUSE-Community

caf4926’s and oldcpu’s multimedia topic only have big posts to be as helpful as possible.
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure it out, the one click options are intended to be easy.
Unless there was another tutorial you read that is more complicated, reading the topic I have linked to throughly and not just hopping in does help.
The extra repository bit can take a little extra to set up, but its far from 50 steps as you so claim.

Well, unfortunately, we do not all "know" about the packman repos when we first start.  The very first time I installed a Linux distro was with 10.1 and it was a nightmare.  Lots of reading and lots of mistakes and I was eventually up and running. 

I was still a lot of reading away from finding the packman repos and figuring out what to do with them once I found them.

The challenge I see for most of us new comers is not that the information is not available, it is rather a case of there is so much information that it can be hard to sift through it and find what you need. Additionally, some of us do not like to ask questions on the forum until we have spent some time trying to work out the problem on our own. 

Now, with that said, the installation walk through I found with 11.2 would have been great if I had found it when I was starting out. The whole site, seems to me, to have vastly improved from when I first started - either from being more organized than is was then or because I now have a better idea of where to look for stuff.

perhaps

i’ll take a look right now, thanks

true, but since I asked, they answered. All if fair when asking others I guess.

I tried installing the vls media player and it said that they don't have that for my version of opensuse

on a positive note this confusing linux seems to be working after all. two weeks ago I tried all day to install a basic media player and it didn't work no matter what I did, then today all these video add pop ups sprang up and started working. I'm baffled because I haven't changed anything knowingly since a few weeks ago. But hey, it works right? So why complain

:expressionless: now if I can just get a dvd to work

Its still not working even after installing libdvdcss?
Hmm, what dvd’s are you trying to play?
I am aware of one or two DVD’s that wont play nice with linux even with libdvdcss, its not really a cure all solution.
I know certain DVD’s from warner brothers give headaches, as do some from Columbia.