Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smb mounts disappear 11.2

Default smb mounts disappear 11.2

Hi, I've never had this problem before and its now driving me nuts.

Basically I mount a smb share in suse 11.2 like so

mount //ip/share /mnt/point

That's fine. It works. A few days later I find all shares I've mounted like that have mysteriously disappeared. I can't find out why, nothing in logs, no obvious causes.

When I say disappear I mean its like something did an umount /mnt/point. They no longer appear in the mount list, they are no longer mounted, and I need to type in the mount command for them to come back.

I tend to leave the boxes running until they crash or need a reboot, and always have. This problem I've only seen in 11.2. I have a 11.1 and 11.0 boxes running too, and the mounts are stable on those.

I can't find any references anywhere to this behaviour. Any help/ideas, would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: smb mounts disappear 11.2

Quote Originally Posted by oldcraft View Post
    Hi, I've never had this problem before and its now driving me nuts.

Basically I mount a smb share in suse 11.2 like so

mount //ip/share /mnt/point

That's fine. It works. A few days later I find all shares I've mounted like that have mysteriously disappeared. I can't find out why, nothing in logs, no obvious causes.

When I say disappear I mean its like something did an umount /mnt/point. They no longer appear in the mount list, they are no longer mounted, and I need to type in the mount command for them to come back.

I tend to leave the boxes running until they crash or need a reboot, and always have. This problem I've only seen in 11.2. I have a 11.1 and 11.0 boxes running too, and the mounts are stable on those.

I can't find any references anywhere to this behaviour. Any help/ideas, would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Just a thought, have you checked your cron jobs to see if something there might cause the problem?
    Tom Taylor - retired penguin
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata3
    openSUSE 12.3x86_64 openSUSE 13.1-M2x86_64
    KDE 4.8.5, FF 14.0.1 - 8- KDE 4.10.0, FF 20.0
    registered linux user 263467

Just checked. Nope nothing in there, other than smolt and register suse. I can't even pinpoint when this happens, its not every day, but after an unknown time its disappeared. At first I thought I must have rebooted or forgot to connect, but then I realised its simply disappearing after some time.

Blog Entries

I recommend you use the cifs driver; i.e. "mount -t cifs //ip/etc" rather than just "mount //ip/etc".

And also have a think about making the mounts permanent with a mount specification placed in fstab. For both ad-hoc mounts and permanent mounts see the syntax options in this tutorial:
    Samba: HowTo Mount a CIFS Network Share [AKA Map Network Drive] in openSUSE 11 plus FAQs
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Okay can try the mount -t cifs thing. On the fstab, I do have a permanent one in there, but in the past the command line worked fine for the temporary ones. 11.2 - the fstab one stays fine, just the mount one doesn't. Will try one of them with -t cifs

Quote Originally Posted by tommyttt View Post
    Just a thought, have you checked your cron jobs to see if something there might cause the problem?
    I am having exactly the same problem - opensuse 11.0, 11.1. There are no cron jobs and I can make the problem disappear by using kmail with a mail directory on the samba share. kmail has to be logging in to the mail server, in which case the activity keeps the share alive. It is not enough just to have kmail running without actively logging in to the mail server.

I am mounting with mount.cifs

/sbin/mount.cifs //<server>/$USER $HOME/.import -o noperm -o setuids -o guest

The mounted share disappears in about 10 to 20 minutes.

Blog Entries

I'm very unclear on this but:
    Can you run the options separately? Should they be more like this:

/sbin/mount.cifs //<server>/$USER $HOME/.import -o noperm,setuids,guest
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I'm very unclear on this but:
    Can you run the options separately? Should they be more like this:

/sbin/mount.cifs //<server>/$USER $HOME/.import -o noperm,setuids,guest
    It works either way, with the same result.

Well, for whatever reason, I am getting the distinct impression that there is some busybody daemon at work here, tidying up 'and dropping 'unused' mounts - perhaps for a mobile connectivity scenario.

They is nothing flaky about it. The connections are there and they work. And then they disappear. Any ideas anyone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DVardysShadow View Post
    Well, for whatever reason, I am getting the distinct impression that there is some busybody daemon at work here, tidying up 'and dropping 'unused' mounts - perhaps for a mobile connectivity scenario.

They is nothing flaky about it. The connections are there and they work. And then they disappear. Any ideas anyone?
    Idea #1: I assume this is all done as root, so I won't ask about that

Idea #2: the owner on the server is the same as the user on the client, so $USER from the client is recognised properly on the server?

Idea #3: I'd guess that if a low impact error situation exists, maybe the busybody daemon disconnects the mount after e.g. 100000 repetitive error situations are generated. Maybe try a more conventional mount like this:

sudo mount -t cifs -o guest,uid=michael,gid=users //192.168.33.30/michael /home/michael/.import

Idea #4: if you open a browser (e.g. Dolphin) and run this address in the address bar: smb://servername/michael -- are you asked for any credentials? For the "-o guest" to work, the answer must be "no".

OK, now I'm out of ideas
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast