Input/Output Error

Hello, I was downloading the opensuse 11.2 Dvd and someone tripped over my external Hd cable causing it to unplug and my download to stop…Alright no biggie, when I go to resume I am stuck at the “Checking” Status. Alright just delete the file and start over again (don’t know how else to resolve this) well still the same thing, ok, open Dolphin and delete the file everything seems to be in order except I find when I unplug the HD and plug it back in the file is still there! OK so I open a terminal and run rm -r openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64-iso
and get the following message… “rm: cannot remove `openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64-iso/openSUSE-11.2-DVD-x86_64.iso’: Input/output error” any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks (also if this text is tiny I’m sorry my Computer is on the fritz and I have no idea whats causing it)

The file system may be corrupted. What file system do you have on that? Can you do a fschk?

I have NTFS

OK, please hold on… Someone else might come up to help you… I am not an expert on NTFS.

I read somewhere in the forum that sometimes you need Windoz to “reset” something when NTFS file system gets corrupted. Not sure what it is.

If you don’t use Windoz, you may initialize some “decent” file system on that drive.

I doubt if you can repair NTFS from Linux and to be honest even if you could I’d not trust it. Too much secret sauce there. :open_mouth:

take the disk to a windows machine and correct it there. Or if you don’t need to use the drive on Widows replace the partition and format ext4 much better.

threatingbehaviour wrote:
> I have NTFS

not sure, but i think i read that something about the way MS file
systems work on USB requires a “clean shut down” or they refuse to
work when reconnected…

i suppose tripping over the cable does not constitute a “clean shutdown”…

i have no idea how to fix it, but a “windows power user” should be
able to tell you…

palladium

Connect it to a windu machine, have that repair it.