Thread: Desktop Widget Settings do Reset on every Restart

Default Desktop Widget Settings do Reset on every Restart

Hello,
    I have the problem that on each restart the following settings are reseted to their defaults:

-Size of widgets (position changes because of size changing)

-all settings of my custom panel (only the widgets in the bar are still there, but size, things like autohide, position do reset)

-furthermore "composing" (under desktop effects) is disabled after restart. (I have desktop effects activated and installed my ati-driver as the tutorial here on the forum requests)

Furthermore I cannot install mac OS widgets (I used rightclick on desktop-->add widgets-->install new widgets--->from file--> and selected the .zip). After selecting the zip files, dolphin closes, but the mac os widgets do not appear in the list.

I am absolutely new (1 week maybe?) to linux.

Please help with this resetting stuff, because it is really disappointing when you can not save your layout.

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Desktop Widget Settings do Reset on every Restart

odd, what version of opensuse are you using?
    Also the mac widget thing doesnt work that well.
    https://features.opensuse.org/308357

OpenSUSE 11.2

btw, it does not make a difference when I lock widgets before restart. same problem

And this is the KDE version correct?
    Just double checking, maybe you might need to reconfigure something but doing that is simple enough if needed.
    Did you try to install another linux before installing openSUSE?

yes it is KDE.
    I only tried live CDs of other distros and did one repair install of opensuse (because it did not boot...).

It did not boot because when I tried to enable desktop effects, the OS crashed and after turning off the computer and rebooting again the system does not start (the loading just never finished, so I did a repair installation from openSUSE dvd...)

I hope this information helped a bit

Quote Originally Posted by moj0h View Post
    yes it is KDE.
    I only tried live CDs of other distros and did one repair install of opensuse (because it did not boot...)
    That might be the cause of the issue as those other distros might have thrown in some config files.
    I am unsure of what exact process you did, but maybe even the repair install might have messed something up too.

and how can this be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by moj0h View Post
    and how can this be fixed?
    well the best way to fix is to delete the hidden KDE config folder in your home directory, however you need to have to login under a different window manager/de or use a terminal session to do so as I had this mess up with KDE.
    KDE configs go wrong a lot in my experience, it can be messy.
    You can use another WM like iceWM as it should be preinstalled, and logging in under it should be easy as on the login screen there is "session type" that can change the DE.
    Change from KDE to one of the others, if iceWM is on your system you are in luck as its sort of a "safe mode" GUI interface.
    It has a simplistic menu, all apps are under the "suse" subsection of the menu so figuring it out should not be hard.
    once you log in you could open up dolphin that should be in the system> file manager section in the menus.
    And then set it to show hidden files by going to view in dolphins menus and then to "show hidden files" and delete the hidden .kde folders.
    It should be simplistic despite how complicated it might seem by my post.
    Its just a matter of finding your way in iceWM, I would suggest a terminal session too but only if it is 100% needed.