keepass 2

Hi,

I am looking for a password manager tool which is cross platform (linux & windows).
I have found keepass. I have started evaluating it under windows in the version 2, and I find it very good.

Now step 2 was to see how it works under linux (suse 11.x to be precise).

At this stage I have realized that there are 2 possibilities.

1. use the “true linux” one (keepassx) which is a keepass version 1 tool
  2. use the keepass version 2 which under linux runs “under mono”

None of them are skipped by default on suse (why? on ubuntu and derivate it is !!??)

keepassx is not for me since it would kill a lot of features of keepass which I like.
So I have to install keepass with mono.

I have found this page:

Software.openSUSE.org

which is nice BUT now my question:
there are 2 new keepass at the top of the list with the same version, coming from 2 different repositories

1. keepass-2.09-1.1.noarch.rpm from Mono:Community/openSUSE_11.1+Mono
  2. keepass-2.09-1.1.noarch.rpm from Mono:Community/openSUSE_11.1+Mono_Preview

As I have said, keepass needs mono to run, and I guess the 2 repositories (and the 2 keepass builds) rely on 2 different versions of mono), but … no difference is described!

Which one should I use? Why? Which is the difference?

Is it a good idea to use it at all (keepass v2)? I mean it must be reliable and stable!!!

Why keepassx is not developed in the v2?

If not which other cross platform tool would you suggest?

p.s. What I am going to do is to add the repository in my repository list in order to assure updates.

Read this FAQ on the KeePass site:

Development Status FAQ - KeePass

KeePass 2, unlike previous versions, is based on .Net, and Mono is the Linux implementation of .Net.

I have found this page:

Software.openSUSE.org

which is nice BUT now my question:
there are 2 new keepass at the top of the list with the same version, coming from 2 different repositories

1. keepass-2.09-1.1.noarch.rpm from Mono:Community/openSUSE_11.1+Mono
  2. keepass-2.09-1.1.noarch.rpm from Mono:Community/openSUSE_11.1+Mono_Preview

As I have said, keepass needs mono to run, and I guess the 2 repositories (and the 2 keepass builds) rely on 2 different versions of mono), but … no difference is described!

Which one should I use? Why? Which is the difference?

Note the “Preview.” This release is in testing and may be unstable.

Is it a good idea to use it at all (keepass v2)? I mean it must be reliable and stable!!!

I’ve used KeePass for years (although not v.2), and it has always been very reliable and stable.

thanks for your answer.

I know that v2 is .NET basded and I know that mono is the “port” of .NET in linux.

Thanks for differentiating the “preview” version and the standard version.

Still I miss a suggestion: should I use it or not? The fact that you use the v1 since years is no help because it is native under linux, the mono environment is pretty much another thing.

I have tested the mono version yesterday under ubuntu and it did not work (the frame GUI disappears after a lock/minimize, nothing is pasted in the clippboard, the auto-type functionality does not work).
I will test it under opensuse (11.0) in the next days, anyway … have some of you already tested it (V2!)? Will it work in a full functioning and reliable way?

I am frustrated: it looks like that there is no “modern” tool (other tools which are promised to be cross platform look coming from the stone age …) which is truly cross platform …

I use KeePass version 1 in both Windows XP & Linux with no problems for over 2 years. (OS 11.2x64 & KDE)

I’m using the portable version 1 on a usb stick & both Windows and Linux versions of the software will read the same database file with no problems. Its been quite stable, reliable, and easy to use.

I used to run the Windows version of KeePass 1.x in Wine in Linux until I found out about a native version.

I have installed a test host with my “aim OS” (opensuse 11.0) and tested …

out of the box
rpm -qa mono*
mono-data-1.9.1-6.5
mono-winforms-1.9.1-6.5
mono-data-sqlite-1.9.1-6.5
mono-web-1.9.1-6.5
mono-core-1.9.1-6.5

Following
Software.openSUSE.org

I have added the
Index of /repositories/Mono:/Community/openSUSE_11.1+Mono
repository and installed keepass

It install, sets all “icons” and starts but as soon as you try to open a DB gives an error (I knew it it needs at least mono 2.2 but I have tried anyway)

Following
Download - Mono
(openSuse -> opensuse11.0 -> i586,x86_64)
I have added the
Index of /pub/mono/download-stable/openSUSE_11.0
repository

to force the vendor change and the “upgrade” to the mono 2.6.x which is skipped with the mono-stable I have installed mono-winfxcore, to resolve conflicts I have accepted the vendor change

I end up with:

rpm -qa mono*
mono-basic-2.6-33.9
mono-extras-2.6.1-31.1
mono-wcf-2.6.1-31.1
mono-core-2.6.1-31.1
mono-web-2.6.1-31.1
mono-winforms-2.6.1-31.1
mono-data-sqlite-2.6.1-31.1
mono-data-2.6.1-31.1
mono-winfxcore-2.6.1-31.1

cp KeePass.config.xml /usr/lib/keepass/
cd /usr/lib/keepass/
chmod a+rx KeePass.config.xml

Now it starts, it opens the “win created” DB’s.

There are thinks which work and things which don’t:

1. As soon as you minimize it/lock it/put to tray and then maximize it again you loose “the whole tool bar” i.e. you still have the GUI “where the DB lives” but the “frame GUI” is without buttons
  2. The auto-type functionality does not work at all.

the rest looks like working (the paste to clippboard for example works)

Now a general question:

I have “updated” the mono stuffs from 1.x to 2.6.x.
On a test machine no big deal, but if I would do it on MY machine I would like to know ho is using those packages before upgrading.

How to check which installed package depends on mono*??

Use

rpm -q --whatrequires <packagename>

to find the packages which depend on <packagename>.

I use lastpass. It’s primarily for Web Browsers but you can manually add entries and categorize them for apps and stuff.They support win, linux, and mac; capabilities to be integrated into mobile devices. It also supports multiple browsers; like FF, IE, and SF. The general/majority of the service is free; but you get some added functionality with the Premium $1/month membership. It’s dual layered crypto with 256 AES in SSL only transmissions. If you’re not online it caches your DB locally; hence the 256 AES.

This topic is quite old already but the discussion is somehow still a current one.

I would be careful with such services and prefer to host my key db on my own (home-)server before I would give away the full control over such important data, no matter if heavily encrypted or not.

KeePassX and KeePass 2 are both functional and good. I would go with KeePassX unless I would not be able to go without some features of version 2 because KeePassX has proven stable and secure over quite some time. This does not mean that KeePass 2 would be bad or in any way heavily unsecure or unstable, it’s just my personal preference to go with more mature software in such security related concerns.

If you are using KDE 4.x you could try KWallet. This is available to Windows users, too, if I am not wrong and if not on it’s own you would at least get it via KDE for Windows if this is an option for you.

Otherwise I fear there is no other software out there that could be seriously compared to KeePass. So, it does not really matter if KeePassX or KeePass 2, both are supported, stable and secure.
With 2 more years of development in mind, even KeePass 2 has already proven quite mature.

Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile: