Digikam crashes at launch

Hi,

Digikam crashes after launch :

here are the errors i’ve got in console :

libpng error: Read Error
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::PNGLoader::load: Internal libPNG error during reading file. Process aborted!
KCrash: Application 'digikam' crashing...
digikam(4268)/KDCRAW KDcrawIface::KDcraw::loadEmbeddedPreview: Failed to load embedded RAW preview
sock_file=/home/fabrice/.kde4/socket-linux-y9au/kdeinit4__0
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::isJpegImage: mimetype =  "PNG"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/fabrice/Images/19_11_2009_2.png"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/fabrice/Images/19_11_2009_2.png"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: Failure executing query:
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: "SELECT Images.id, Albums.id  FROM Images INNER JOIN Albums   ON Images.album=Albums.id  WHERE name=? AND albumRoot=? AND relativePath=?;"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: "disk I/O error Impossible d'extraire la ligne" 10
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: Bound values:  (QVariant(QString, "coupe_.png") ,  QVariant(int, 1) ,  QVariant(QString, "/Maison") )
No itemShortInfo could be retrieved from the database for image "coupe_.png"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: Failure executing query:
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: "SELECT id, type, modificationDate, orientationHint, data FROM FilePaths    INNER JOIN Thumbnails ON thumbId = id WHERE path=?;"
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: "disk I/O error Impossible d'extraire la ligne" 10
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DatabaseCoreBackend::exec: Bound values:  (QVariant(QString, "/home/fabrice/Images/Maison/coupe_.png") )
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::DImg::load: "/home/fabrice/Images/Maison/coupe_.png"  : PNG file identified

i have libpng12-0 installed (Library for the Portable Network Graphics Format (PNG) )

i’m using

fabrice@linux-y9au:~> digikam --version

Qt: 4.6.1

KDE Development Platform: 4.3.86 (KDE 4.3.86 (KDE 4.4 >= 20091231)) “release 4”

digiKam: 1.0.0

do you know how to solve this ?

Did you try deleting/re-naming the config files for it and starting again

What repos are you using

zypper lr -d

hi :wink:

what do you mean by the config files (?)

my repos :

| Alias | Nom | Activé | Rafraîchir | Priorité | Type | URI | Service

—±------------------------------------±---------------------------------------------±-------±-----------±---------±-------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | download.opensuse.org-2.28 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE:2.28 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/2.28/openSUSE_11.2 |
2 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.2 |
3 | download.opensuse.org-Backports | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.2 |
4 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.2 |
5 | download.opensuse.org-database | openSUSE BuildService - Database | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/database/openSUSE_11.2 |
6 | download.opensuse.org-games | openSUSE BuildService - Jeux | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.2 |
7 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2 |
8 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Dépôt principal (Contrib) | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.2:/Contrib/standard |
9 | download.opensuse.org-webcam | openSUSE BuildService - Pilotes pour webcams | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.2 |
10 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman Repository | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
11 | http-download.opensuse.org-c3c54115 | Mises à jour pour openSUSE 11.2-0 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
12 | libdvdcss | libdvdcss | Oui | Non | 99 | rpm-md | http://www.opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.2 |
13 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Non | Oui | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
14 | openSUSE_11.2 | openSUSE_11.2 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/43/openSUSE_11.2 |
15 | openSUSE_11.2_1 | openSUSE_11.2 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/UNSTABLE:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2 |
16 | openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 | openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 |
17 | openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43_1 | openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 | Oui | Oui | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 |
18 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | Oui | Oui | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
19 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Oui | Oui | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
20 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Oui | Oui | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
21 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | Oui | Oui | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |

KDE4:UNSTABLE

So that’s what it is.

The digikam config files are in:

~/.kde4/share/config/
and
~/.kde4/share/apps/digikam/

So, do this to remove them:

rm ~/.kde4/share/config/digikam*
rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/apps/digikam

Then restart digikam, and see what it does. But I have to say, your repos are a mess. And what’s worse, they are all on.

With a repo list like that - what on earth do you expect?!

Do you want me to show you how to fix it?

Removing files does not help, it still crashes

what do you mean with a repo list like that ? duplicates, priorities, urls ?

If you don’t know the answer to those questions then you definitely shouldn’t be using most of them.

Answer 1 or 2 to the following:

1. I’m a KDE user
  2. I’m a Gnome user

Here is the repo list I recommend for kde

OSS
NON-OSS
Updates
Packman
kde43 desktop
kde43 community

That’s it!

Remove everything but those
Then do this from a su terminal

zypper dup

when that’s done do this in the following order:

On both the kde desktop and community
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1peLtPjwp67roMjm1xb02fSX2OE4rhtW0H-2UXvFmI9Ur1FA516FH7XraVSWq_cz2s2U_n5aBMFhW5JCOyq7xQ8w/package%20switch%20kde.png

Finally on Packman
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pNdyY-RgzBX3H-NIlpuqCwZ2Q_hEZCSvgEJ4h7GcNFyXwBtyUSO7x2IJXrQ7ooNLdySTek4wKVYZIRXQbIOuOfQ/Packman%20Filter%20Final.png

This is where knowing packages/repos and dependencies is required. If you are going to have that many repos, then you should know how a package from one repo can conflict with a package from another.

Your problem is here:

libpng error: Read Error
digikam(4268)/digikam (core) Digikam::PNGLoader::load: Internal libPNG error during reading file. Process aborted!

It’s not that you don’t have libpng installed. It’s not saying that. If it were, it’d say it can’t find it. What it is saying is that libpng is broken. Check your version, and back down to a stable version.

On a side note, having repos like you do is a great way to break your system. And I don’t mean like this. I mean, to the point where you may have to reinstall. Having repos like this is good if you are masterful at dependency resolution. If you can’t tell me what depends on libpng, and be able to resolve that dependency, you shouldn’t be messing with all those repos. Or if you do, do it on a test box.

Well, i know i have plenty repos i know , but in my viewpoint there are available and supposed to be used, i thus do so :wink: if not so safely, why create them ? At least adding them should come with a warning.

By the way my question was more aiming to understand if is there a way to solve this without going back to kde stable ? If this is due to unstability i can understand it pretty well.

NEW Users - openSuse Pre-install (general) – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

see post #4