Thread: DPI in openSUSE 11.2 (KDE)

SeventhSin NNTP User

Default DPI in openSUSE 11.2 (KDE)

I'm trying to use the windows fonts on my linux machine. I've found a nice tutorial which suggests to change the dpi to 96x96 (windows default).

It seems that i'm not able to change the dpi. I've tried with sax2 => no luck. Manually editing the xorg.conf file => no luck. My dpi remain always the same. I've logged out even rebooted. Same.

# xdpyinfo | grep dimen
    dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (443x249 millimeters)
    # xdpyinfo | grep resol
    resolution: 92x92 dots per inch

I've changed the dimensions to 423x238 mm. I should get a 96x96 dpi with these but no. After restarting, xdpyinfo shows the same old settings.

Any ideas ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: DPI in openSUSE 11.2 (KDE)

In KDE go to "Personal Settings">Look and Feel>Appearance>Fonts. There is a drop down menu labeled DPI. Change that to 96. That should do it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

SeventhSin NNTP User

Indeed it did it! Thanks.

I discovered that properly configured drivers don't allow custom settings of the type i was attempting. The "Force fonts DPI" option does the trick tough.

Man, you guys are fast with the replies. I start loving openSUSE even more.

With Kubuntu (9.10) I'm able to replace
    Code:
    ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp
    with
    Code:
    ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -dpi 96
    in kdmrc. That way the dpi setting also affects the login screen (in contrast to the solution presented by Jonathan_R). Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work/have no effect with openSUSE (11.2). Any ideas/suggestions why? Or a workaround?