DPI in openSUSE 11.2 (KDE)

I’m trying to use the windows fonts on my linux machine. I’ve found a nice tutorial which suggests to change the dpi to 96x96 (windows default).

It seems that i’m not able to change the dpi. I’ve tried with sax2 => no luck. Manually editing the xorg.conf file => no luck. My dpi remain always the same. I’ve logged out even rebooted. Same.

xdpyinfo | grep dimen

dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (443x249 millimeters)

xdpyinfo | grep resol

resolution: 92x92 dots per inch

I’ve changed the dimensions to 423x238 mm. I should get a 96x96 dpi with these but no. After restarting, xdpyinfo shows the same old settings.

Any ideas ? :slight_smile:

In KDE go to “Personal Settings”>Look and Feel>Appearance>Fonts. There is a drop down menu labeled DPI. Change that to 96. That should do it.

Indeed it did it! Thanks. :slight_smile:

I discovered that properly configured drivers don’t allow custom settings of the type i was attempting. The “Force fonts DPI” option does the trick tough.

Man, you guys are fast with the replies. I start loving openSUSE even more. :smiley:

With Kubuntu (9.10) I’m able to replace

ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp

with

ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -dpi 96

in kdmrc. That way the dpi setting also affects the login screen (in contrast to the solution presented by Jonathan_R). Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to work/have no effect with openSUSE (11.2). Any ideas/suggestions why? Or a workaround?