Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: VMWare install

  1. #1

    Question VMWare install

    Hi
    i have just downloaded VMware and i tried to run ./vmware-install.pl
    i get this message:

    FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory
    Unable to open kernel module dependency file


    i don't understand the problem!
    Please help me!
    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: VMWare install

    You have not installed the prerequisite packages. Please read the instructions here:

    Setting up VMware on SUSE Linux - openSUSE

    your problem comes from not having the kernel sources installed - or they are not at the same level as the installed kernel.

  3. #3

    Default Re: VMWare install

    hi
    i was told that wmware server is not compatible with opensuse 11.2
    you told e how to patch vmware worstation on opensuse 11.1
    that is not the subject.
    but thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: VMWare install

    You did not say what version of openSUSE you were running - although I guess I should have figured it out from the kernel version. Sorry. You are correct - there are issues on 11.2. However it works great on 11.1 and earlier versions.
    The error message you posted, however still looks like you do not have the kernel sources installed, which you will need if you back off to 11.1.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,760

    Default Re: VMWare install

    Is there any reason you must run Vmware??

    If not you may want to try VirtualBox. I moved to VBox after I too had trouble installing VMware server. It runs fine on 11.2. VMwares commercial programs all seem to be fine if you don't mind paying the freight.It is just server that is the problem.

  6. #6
    Simon Flood NNTP User

    Default Re: VMWare install

    On 10/01/2010 00:46, clogwyn wrote:

    > You did not say what version of openSUSE you were running - although I
    > guess I should have figured it out from the kernel version. Sorry. You
    > are correct - there are issues on 11.2. However it works great on 11.1
    > and earlier versions.
    > The error message you posted, however still looks like you do not have
    > the kernel sources installed, which you will need if you back off to
    > 11.1.


    It is possible to install and run 64-bit VMware Server 2.0.2 on 64-bit
    openSUSE 11.2. Swerdna has written some great instructions that are
    available at http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susevmwareserver.html

    HTH.
    --
    Simon
    Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
    If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
    Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: VMWare install

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Is there any reason you must run Vmware??

    If not you may want to try VirtualBox. I moved to VBox after I too had trouble installing VMware server. It runs fine on 11.2. VMwares commercial programs all seem to be fine if you don't mind paying the freight.It is just server that is the problem.
    I agree with this statement. I was a heavy VMWare user and switched to VirtualBox over the holidays. I had major headaches trying to get VMPlayer 3 to work on 11.2 and VBox worked great.

    Now, having said that, we all need to be aware that if you download one of Sun's binaries, you are NOT allowed to use it for commercial purposes. I don't believe VMPlayer has that restriction.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wilds of Arkansas
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: VMWare install

    Quote Originally Posted by twelveeighty View Post
    I agree with this statement. I was a heavy VMWare user and switched to VirtualBox over the holidays. I had major headaches trying to get VMPlayer 3 to work on 11.2 and VBox worked great.

    ......
    Funny thing how things work. VMware Player worked a treat for me on 11.2 x86_64 whereas Virtual box takes more effort to setup. Also virtual box would not run previous created VM's from VM Workstation. I tried creating a new VM in Virtual box of Win 98 and it just could not do it. In VMware Player it was not too much effort.

    So I disagree, for my purposes VMware Player 3 is better than Virtual box.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: VMWare install

    So I disagree, for my purposes VMware Player 3 is better than Virtual box.
    I could not get the copy-paste from the guest to the host to work in VMPlayer 3. Maybe that is a KDE thing (I was on GNOME for 11.1, where I used VMWare)...? I may sound like a small thing, but I need to be able to copy-paste simple text/code fragments from the guest to the host and back.

    I finally gave up and tried VBox and since it didn't have this problem (I migrated the guest from VMWare to VBox), I stayed there.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wilds of Arkansas
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: VMWare install

    Quote Originally Posted by twelveeighty View Post
    I could not get the copy-paste from the guest to the host to work in VMPlayer 3.
    Just tested it;
    Host (copy/paste) to guest works fine, but guest to host does not in my virtual 98SE with openSUSE 11.2 host Kde 4.3. So you are correct, if you need that functionality it does not work.

    The big complaint I have against Vbox is the inability to create the Win98 without having a fault coming up, something to do with the Virtual HD when trying to do a setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •