Thread: thoughts on songbird on openSUSE

Default thoughts on songbird on openSUSE

im not sure how everyone else around here feels about songbird, but i think it would be awesome if a "SUSE"ified version of songbird was released with either the 11.3 release of openSUSE or the next one. the only real thing i would fix with songbird though is the fact that is has a web browser which eats ram. it is still a very good app that i think should be considered though.

Default Re: thoughts on songbird on openSUSE

I agree. I was using Amarok in my previous 11.0 build, but with my recent new build on 11.2 I decided to try songbird (OK, I confess it was because I was having issues with the new version of Amarok). It was such an easy install and setup that I was sure it had not completed properly. So far, so good. I really like what I have seen so far.

I've been using Songbird on and off on 11.1 and now 11.2. It mostly works fine except I often have trouble playing some of the radio stations on shoutcast. I often have to have multiple attempts at get them to play and sometime have to being playing a track from my HDD before switching to a shoutcast station.

I also don't like how it has it's own window style and decorations.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

the biggest problem ive had with it is that it would not recognize some of the metadata of my music and so i had to re-scan the media to fix it, but hey, its still a darn good player. i didnt really like amarok either for some reason, i ended up using banshee before songbird on my opensuse install. as far as not liking the window style and decorations, well i guess its a matter of preference lol because i love songbird's style.