Using windows on a virtual machine?

Hi there!

I have one current requirement for a windows computer, and that is to use itunes (yes i am aware that you can use banshee and amarok, but it’s really the itunes store i need).
I also think that it might be quite useful using a virtual machine with windows on it, should i get bored and decide to install a slightly more complex game or speech to text software which would work best under windows.
Unfortunately i am, as of the time of writing (or typing if you’re feeling pedantic), unaware as to the best suppliers of virtual machines and which windows systems work best, also can they then be used to install itunes and then give itunes access to my music files currently in my linux documents? will itunes have direct access to my ipod? and if i download something from the itunes store in the VM will it save to somewhere in my linux documents or a file within the installed VM which may then be deleted if the VM is uninstalled?
I’m currently using 11.2 kde btw, and i only know of virtualbox which currently does not have an 11.2 version.
As for windows, i take it that no VM’s come with it preinstalled?
Thanks
Mike

The easiest by far is virtual Box
Virtual Box (Sun Version) Install HowTo - openSUSE Forums

Using Virtual Box - Some Quick Tips - openSUSE Forums

Before you begin using a virtual machine on top of your openSUSE installation, make sure your system is powerful enough for it. I use Windows 7 for a program or two (that won’t work with Wine) in a VirtualBox VM. For best performance of Windows in a VM, I’d recommend you have plenty of RAM (1GB at least, then you can give 512MB to the VM), and a dual-core processor so that one core can be given to the virtual machine to use. Windows XP would be a good option if you want to install a Windows OS into a VM, since it’s more lightweight than later versions (Vista and 7). Though I’ve found that Win7 works fine in a VM with 512MB RAM and 64MB of video memory, with Aero effects turned off.
As to which virtual machine application to use, I agree with caf4926 that VirtualBox is the easiest one to use with plenty of functions. I don’t know who told you that there isn’t a version of it for 11.2, but it’s available. You can get it from YaST’s Software Management.

As to your question of whether files from the VM can be saved to openSUSE, the answer is no. Think of a VM as a whole separate machine and not as an extension of your current operating system. However, you can save your files to a CD/USB drive and then move them to openSUSE. Bear in mind, though, only the closed-source edition of VirtualBox hass USB support. The open-source version (the one you can get from YaST) does not. So, no, your iTunes cannot be given access to your Linux machine to save and play files. iTunes will save your files to inside the VM and not in openSUSE’s Home folder.

Hope this helps you in setting up a virtual machine.

Actually there is a version for 11.2
Look carefully

Hi
My actual physical computer should be fine i hope, 4gb ddr3, 1tb HDD 512Mb video ram and a dual core 3ghz processor.
So if i have an external HDD plugged in and the Virtual Box from Linux_Downloads - VirtualBox it should have usb support as it’s not the yast version, so it can save all music to the external drive and then back onto the VM and vice-versa?
Thanks

Hi
Ok so i have my virtual machine, 512mb ram dynamic HDD max of 100gb, but when i ask it to start up it says i need to put into the command line as root /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup which i did, but that came up with an error almost straight away, this is the log
Makefile:155: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
echo;
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
echo " Run ‘make oldconfig && make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.";
echo;
/bin/false)

ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.
Run ‘make oldconfig && make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.

mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.5-0.1/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile:155: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.4/include -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.5-0.1/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:1: error: code model ‘kernel’ not supported in the 32 bit mode
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [module/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2

So what’s happened here? what must be done?
Thanks
Mike

Make sure you have kernel-devel as well as kernel-source,

I advise fixed size VM discs

Actually there is a virtual directory to you user home on Linux made available in the network section of the Windows VM. It should be there once you have installed the addons

Also you can connect to the Host and visa versa via a network connection ie Samba on the Linux host.

Hmmm, it seems that putting kernel-devel into yast software manager comes up with nothing, but just kernel brings up titles including:
kernel-debug-devel
kernel-default-devel (installed)
kernel-desktop-devel
kernel-pae-devel
kernel-rt-devel
kernel-rt_debug-devel
kernel-trace-devel
kernel-vanilla-devel
kernel-xen-devel
Any of those? they all have the description of “Development files necessary for building kernel modules” so is it just one needed or all?
As for using samba to network between the two, if i set it up, will a program like itunes be able to automatically take music from the linux host and add it to the library?
Thanks
Mike

please post result of this

uname -a

MikesMachine:/home/Mike # uname -a
Linux MikesMachine 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

It’s OK
You have it according to your earlier comment: kernel-default-devel (installed)

Have you added yourself to the vboxusers group

su terminal:

groupmod --add-user yourusername vboxusers

yup i’m in the group…i take it this means that there’s something wrong with my computer?
Mike

post result of this

rpm --query --all '*kernel*'

kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.i586
kernel-source-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.noarch
kernel-desktop-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20090821-4.1.noarch
kernel-default-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.i586
kernel-pae-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.i586
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch

Does that help?
Thanks
Mike

**This is a mess. **You have 3 different kernels

1. kernel-pae
  2. kernel-desktop
  3. kernel-default

Earlier you quoted as using:
MikesMachine:/home/Mike # uname -a
Linux MikesMachine 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

You are running 32 bit. But you also said you have 4GB RAM
So you need to use kernel-pae

**So you need to end up like this:

kernel-source-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.noarch
kernel-firmware-20090821-4.1.noarch
kernel-pae-2.6.31.5-0.1.1.i586
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch**

and do:

zypper in kernel-pae-devel

Now try

Hi
O.k. so i went into software manager to uninstall the kernels, it all went fine but then when i re-ran
rpm --query --all ‘kernel
it still came up with the same list, so am i doing it the wrong way??
Thanks
Mike

You have to reboot

rebooted, it still comes up with all those kernels :S
What else can i do?

Thanks
Mike

Whenever you delete kernels the software manager with usually complain, you just have to ignore /cancel all the error boxes until you have marked for delete all the packages you don’t need. Just make sure you keep the packages I listed.
I suspect you are getting out of your depth here.