Thread: Problems shutting down machine

ianw1974 NNTP User

Default Problems shutting down machine

I've just installed openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 on my laptop - HP Business Notebook 6710b. This is the first distro to do this, which is why I ask.

Now, when it comes to shutting my machine down, it doesn't always do it. First thing I remembered was after initial installation, when it was meant to reboot, it just went to GDM, and I thought it must have booted before I saw it. But no, because I noticed this on some virtual installs I made also.

When I come to shut it down, in Gnome, it just goes to the GDM screen. Sometimes it will shut down fine, and sometimes not. If I press the power button, it then asks me if I want to shut down and it just does it correctly.

This also depends on the kernel. If I have the usual desktop one installed, then it will power off correctly at the end. But I use Xen on my notebook for a virtualised machine, and so need the Xen kernel. When I shut down with this, it just sticks right at the end when it says it will power off but never does it.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Problems shutting down machine

There is topic about this problem on the forum, and there are bug reports at bugzilla.novell.com Check there.

Default Re: Problems shutting down machine

Please change Boot loader to Kernel default. Try shutdown again.

Xen problem?